• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question For Mathematicians

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't that one of the fundamental assumptions of maths?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

If x>0 and y>0

then 0<x and 0<y

Therefore x+y>0 and 0<x+y

Also 0+0<x and 0+0<y

Therefore x>0+0 and y>0+0

So x+y is also > 0+0

Got it?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
        Simple question fo mathematicians

If x > 0 and y > 0

How do you formally prove x+y > 0
        Assume the opposite is true, i.e. there exist x and y such that
        x > 0
        y > 0
        x+y <= 0.

then x+y-y <= 0-y
        i.e. x <= -y
        but y > 0 so -y < 0
        therefore x < 0 which contradicts first premise.

Therefore the assumption is false, so there do not exist x any y such that
        x > 0
        y > 0
        x+y <= 0.
        Therefore x+y > 0.

PS just how many of us claimed to have a maths degree??
        God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

What do those little arrow things mean again?

Comment

no no no

Given x>0 y> 0

then ....

tch
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

The exact proof depends on what axioms you assume for the "<" ordering. Say the proof will be different if you start with the axioms of an ordered group or an ordered field.

Comment

Originally posted by bored
                The exact proof depends on what axioms you assume for the "<" ordering. Say the proof will be different if you start with the axioms of an ordered group or an ordered field.
                at last. someone else who *knows*.
                Last edited by scotspine; 31 July 2007, 16:31.

Comment

Ah yes, the axioms!!! I was going to say that!!

The pope is a tard.

Comment

I assumed a strict total order, i.e. asymmetric and transitive. But it does indeed have to be at least a group. Surely though the proof for a strictly stronger space like a ring or a field would be just the same as for a group? Only the basic group properties are being used here. (note to the less technical: what I mean by that is that a proof relating to addition and subtraction is just the same whether you are able to do multiplication or not).
                    Last edited by Euro-commuter; 31 July 2007, 20:26.
                    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                      Simple question fo mathematicians

If x > 0 and y > 0

How do you formally prove x+y > 0
                      Assuming x and y are real numbers, it follows from the fact that the set of real numbers is an ordered field

As someone else mentioned (I forget who), x > 0 implies x + y > y for any real y (not necessarily positive).

Also by the transitive property of a strict total order if z > y and y > t then z > t, where in particular you can take z = x + y and t = 0.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X