• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has the stock crash started?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the heads up on Fidelity, I am only doing this with spare cash. Putting my pension fund on the Lotto this week 16 million.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Investment funds are good, however you can gain an extra 2 or 3% long-term by cutting out their charges. An alternative is to subscribe to some Investment Research. Standard & Poor for example, and select your own stocks, from their recommendations. An advantage here is you can set your own risk level, and its more fun . After a crash you can nimbly rush into a market and you always make a killing 5 years later. Keep enough cash to be able to dive in when the markets crash, this happens at least once a decade, and there is usually a severe correction at least every 5 years (my experience).

I had about 10 stocks originally and that went well I now have 30 or 40 stocks, and never put more than 5% in any one stock. That means worst case a bankruptcy would cost me 5%, which normally would be compensated by about 10% from the rest of the portfolio. However bankruptcies, except in the case of fraud, are easy to avoid, as companies usually make losses over a few years before it finally happens.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by RightLaugh
        Anyone spread betting?
        Yep, had a couple of quid on Apple for the last three weeks, finally came right yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by LGDT
          Most of Fidelity top-performers were overseen by Anthony Bolton who was a star fund manager for many years. I think since his retirement a couple of years ago performance has dropped off.
          Anthony Bolton is still the fund manager of the original Special Sits fund but since they split the holding the other special sits fund run by Jorma Korhonen has done less well. Still good performers though and made me some money. In my opinion.
          It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
            Anthony Bolton is still the fund manager of the original Special Sits fund but since they split the holding the other special sits fund run by Jorma Korhonen has done less well. Still good performers though and made me some money. In my opinion.
            Wasn't he the Jefferson Airplane guitarist?
            God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
              Investment funds are good, however you can gain an extra 2 or 3% long-term by cutting out their charges. An alternative is to subscribe to some Investment Research. Standard & Poor for example, and select your own stocks, from their recommendations. An advantage here is you can set your own risk level, and its more fun . After a crash you can nimbly rush into a market and you always make a killing 5 years later. Keep enough cash to be able to dive in when the markets crash, this happens at least once a decade, and there is usually a severe correction at least every 5 years (my experience).

I had about 10 stocks originally and that went well I now have 30 or 40 stocks, and never put more than 5% in any one stock. That means worst case a bankruptcy would cost me 5%, which normally would be compensated by about 10% from the rest of the portfolio. However bankruptcies, except in the case of fraud, are easy to avoid, as companies usually make losses over a few years before it finally happens.
              From what I understand 85% of funds under perform when compared to the FTSE 100. Might as well buy a FTSE 100 or 250 tracker EFT ishare.

Comment

DIY or go the tracker route, pay some tosser to manage my money, i think not

Comment

Originally posted by RightLaugh
                  From what I understand 85% of funds under perform when compared to the FTSE 100. Might as well buy a FTSE 100 or 250 tracker EFT ishare.

Yep, that's good advice. They're cheap to buy into as well since there is much less effort involved in investing according to an index, rather than stock-picking.
                  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
                    Yep, that's good advice. They're cheap to buy into as well since there is much less effort involved in investing according to an index, rather than stock-picking.
                    Before I pulled out a couple of months ago I invested a good amount in the FTSE 250 ishare. As you can see it does alot better then the 100 and the Dow.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=5...EFTMC&c=%5EDJI

250 has just gone below the 11,000 barrier. Only a few weeks ago it was above 12,000. Might be worth a punt now. If it goes down further then another punt to bring down the average.
                    Last edited by RightLaugh; 27 July 2007, 15:13.

Comment

Working...
                    X