• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House prices, to be sure to be sure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi
    IMO 90% of new houses are poorly/cheaply constructed compared to old and are never going to be in prime locations so why do they hold value so well?
    I think this an urban legend. Old houses are just as poorly/cheaply constructed as the new ones. The fact that walls are thicker doesn't make them necessary better quality ones (and most of the time not even more sound-proof at all).
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
      I think this an urban legend. Old houses are just as poorly/cheaply constructed as the new ones. The fact that walls are thicker doesn't make them necessary better quality ones (and most of the time not even more sound-proof at all).
      Got to disagree with that matey. In my experience, (with the exception of Colt or Prefabs/Airey houses) older houses are generally far superior to the modern day tat.

More parking, more generous gardens, better quality of workmanship. Probably because excessive greed wasn't the principle reason in building the house, unlike modern day developments.

I've heard plenty of people complaining about their new builds, but no-one ever seems to praise them. Seems to be the general feeling in the trade too.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
        I beg to differ, houses built up to around 20 years ago maybe but when I was looking (7 years ago) I couldn't believe how small and noisy they were because of thin walls and ceilings, also I didn't like the idea of my front door touching the bottom of the staircase or even worse having the staircase in the lounge, I guess they do vary depending on the developer and the target buyers though.

3 story town houses (out of town ) seem to be all the rage these days, I bet the developers are kicking themselves for not thinking off that sooner.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
          I beg to differ, houses built up to around 20 years ago maybe but when I was looking (7 years ago) I couldn't believe how small and noisy they were because of thin walls and ceilings, also I didn't like the idea of my front door touching the bottom of the staircase or even worse having the staircase in the lounge, I guess they do vary depending on the developer and the target buyers though.

3 story town houses (out of town ) seem to be all the rage these days, I bet the developers are kicking themselves for not thinking off that sooner.
          Yes, new builds in the Sarf East tend to be poorly built and tiny, where your back garden shoud be are two other houses. On the whole though, New houses are built to be more energy efficient, my Dad lives in a new build, he used to build houses so is very exacting and quality wise he had few complaints
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
            265k that near Dublin? That's dead cheap. I have buddies in Cork who are paid well over that for 3 beds. It's crazy over there.
            Yeah it's near enough to Dublin but it's still the assh*le of nowhere...
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

believe me guys, older houses are far superior. New houses that are built by the likes of wimpey and bellway are cheap knock-ups!

I use to work for Sunderland council once upon a time and was sometimes asked to carry out surveys and snagging on new houses so certificates of completion can be given. What i found was that most of the quick knockups by these companys were poorly constructed using cheap materials and the workmanship was poor. They hide they poor work by a good neat looking exterior finish which a buyer sees.

Concrete slabs most of the time are not given enough curing time and would crack easily under temperature changes. Likewise for walls. You would notice cracks in as little as 2yrs!

I willl never buy a new build!
              Keep it clean!!!

Comment

"older houses are better built"

can we further qualify that: the older houses that are still standing today are better built. There were older houses that were worse built, but they fell down/got demolished. Stands to reason innit?

Comment

Paddy is in hoc to the City boys and their Wall Street chums big time. What's worse is he can't inflate away the problem Italian style. He's left with bungalow blight and doll house estates.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
                    "older houses are better built"

can we further qualify that: the older houses that are still standing today are better built. There were older houses that were worse built, but they fell down/got demolished. Stands to reason innit?
                    There is probably some truth in this. Back to back slums were largely bombed in the war or demolished subsequently in slum clearance. these houses weren't just small and pokey and unfit for human habitation but often very poorly built. George Orwell wrote about this in the '30s in Road to Wigan Pier - about housing built in mining subsidence areas with masive cracks down the walss etc. Sounds familiar. Having said that, my modest 1850s house (redbrick 2 up 2 down with modern rear extension) is lasting very well and looks good for another 200 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X