• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Level of maths knowledge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maxamus
    i did advanced degree level mathematics as part of my civil engineering degree. Mechanics and Calculas being the areas widely taught.

I havent used any of it whatsoever and i have forgot it all!
    Including how to spell calculus, evidently.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Just buy one: http://www.affordabledegrees.com

Comment

Well, the poll question asks what is your maths knowledge, not to what level do you have maths qualifications.

When I was doing engineering, we often had the pure maths students of the same year asking us for collaboration on some topics such as calculus and trigonometry because we were studying at the same level. We just didn't do the theory subjects like number theory, set theory, chaos theory etc etc
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin
          Well, the poll question asks what is your maths knowledge, not to what level do you have maths qualifications.

When I was doing engineering, we often had the pure maths students of the same year asking us for collaboration on some topics such as calculus and trigonometry because we were studying at the same level. We just didn't do the theory subjects like number theory, set theory, chaos theory etc etc
          Good point - my maths knowledge is way below my maths qualification level.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            I used to be an Electronics Engineer of a sort... but I haven't used anything much in the way of Calculus & stuff since about 1985...

Or Transformed a Laplace...

Now almost totally innumerate.

Just like all the students.
            Me too, electronic engineering.

Long, bizarre strings of trig functions integrating into other trig functions, decorated by dozens of Greek characters, weird symbols and flashing lights.

Can't remember any of it now.

Comment

I dont think anyone here has a BSc Mathematics or indeed a MSC Mathematics
              I do.
              Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Our students don't seem to do any of this anymore... they get a module in the first year and that's it...
                I thought he was describing a Christmas tree
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

I dont think anyone here has a BSc Mathematics or indeed a MSC Mathematics
                  Like Buffoon (Buffon surely?), I do.
                  God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
                    Hope this is not too off-topic, but...

It is strange how it is seen as socially acceptable (even admirable) to be innumerate but not illiterate. You hear people say, 'I'm no good at numbers or sums at all' with the implication that they have an artisitic soul, but you wouldn't hear people say in the same way, 'I can't read or write - it's just not my thing' - it would be shameful. I guess it's a bit cultural and maybe a bit to do with how poorly maths is taught in schools.
                    It's funny how a lot of the people who are poor at maths are very good at calculating how much their giro should be.

Comment

[QUOTE=Maxamus]I dont think anyone here has a BSc Mathematics or indeed a MSC Mathematics

No one has got a dedicated maths degrreQUOTE]

ahem....

Comment

Working...
                      X