• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Level of maths knowledge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
    Ooo, that looks interesting. Ta
    No worries, you're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by RightLaugh
      You might want to in role in a English GCSE class as well.
      Hope this is not too off-topic, but...

It is strange how it is seen as socially acceptable (even admirable) to be innumerate but not illiterate. You hear people say, 'I'm no good at numbers or sums at all' with the implication that they have an artisitic soul, but you wouldn't hear people say in the same way, 'I can't read or write - it's just not my thing' - it would be shameful. I guess it's a bit cultural and maybe a bit to do with how poorly maths is taught in schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
        Hope this is not too off-topic, but...

It is strange how it is seen as socially acceptable (even admirable) to be innumerate but not illiterate. You hear people say, 'I'm no good at numbers or sums at all' with the implication that they have an artisitic soul, but you wouldn't hear people say in the same way, 'I can't read or write - it's just not my thing' - it would be shameful. I guess it's a bit cultural and maybe a bit to do with how poorly maths is taught in schools.
        And we don't communicate on a daily basis using numbers of course, unless you are a robot or droid of course.

Comment

I have an engineering degree, which involved some quite advanced mathematics. I occasionally use statistical methods and some financial mathematics (e.g. compund interests) in my current role.
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

I use my maths knowledge to calculate me invoice every month

hth

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane
              And we don't communicate on a daily basis using numbers of course, unless you are a robot or droid of course.
              Sure but people get by with conversation. I was talking about literacy, which is much more highly prized than numeracy.

Comment

I have GCSE maths. It helps when troubleshooting routing problems and I had to do a lot of subnetting for my CCNA exam. For the most part I use an online subnet calculator.

I'll have to brush up on it for the CCNP exams - feck knows what it'll be like when IPv6 kicks in..
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On
                  I have GCSE maths. It helps when troubleshooting routing problems and I had to do a lot of subnetting for my CCNA exam. For the most part I use an online subnet calculator.

I'll have to brush up on it for the CCNP exams - feck knows what it'll be like when IPv6 kicks in..
                  They had IPv6 at a company I worked at previously, you'd better hope you have easy to remember hostnames, else trying to remember something like:

3ffe:1900:4545:3:200:f8ff:fe21:67cf

Is going to be painful for most.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane
                    They had IPv6 at a company I worked at previously, you'd better hope you have easy to remember hostnames, else trying to remember something like:

3ffe:1900:4545:3:200:f8ff:fe21:67cf

Is going to be painful for most.
                    dead:dead:dead:1:ded:dead:dead:dead

Easy really...

Comment

I can see the exam questions now:

"What is the broadcast address for the network 3ffe:1900:4545:3:200:f8ff:fe21:67cf?"
                      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                      X