• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents asking for current rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrRobin
    I think you're missing the point of my question dotnetter...

Say you want £500/day, and when the agent asks what you are currently on, and it is £250/day, would you perhaps feel that the agent might think:

'Blimey, that's a big jump - no chance!'

Would you instead blag it and say 'I'm on £450' or something?
    Just lie! (or "blag it" as you put it)

It's none of ther business what your current rate is anyway, but if they insist on knowing, then just pick a figure ff the top of your head.

They're all such a bunch of kn*bs.
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin
      I think you're missing the point of my question dotnetter...

Say you want £500/day, and when the agent asks what you are currently on, and it is £250/day, would you perhaps feel that the agent might think:

'Blimey, that's a big jump - no chance!'

Would you instead blag it and say 'I'm on £450' or something?
      If you feel better saying £450, say it.
      But I would say £500 is my day rate, and if asked again, "No it's still £500"

You just haveto be prepared to take the risk, that you don't get the job and have to wait.

Hence the money in the bank comment earlier.

You have to ask yourself, how much do you want the higher rate.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

They ask your current rate is so they can fill your current position with another contractor once you move out, otherwise your required rate
        is the only rate they should need to know.

HTH

Comment

My take on it.

Never tell the truth if it doesn't suit you. The whole business of dealing with agents is exactly like Poker - bluff and double bluff and keep a straight face - don't feel like you have to be honest because I'll tell you now, the guy at the other end of the phone certainly isn't.

ALWAYS look out for number one. Every £20 extra per day is £20 nearer retirement.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

So you are on 250/day, but you want 500. It goes like this.

Agent: what rate are you looking for.

Johnny contractor : 500 / day

Agent: What rate are you on now?

Johhny contractor: 500/day

Sorted, init.
            The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2
              So you are on 250/day, but you want 500. It goes like this.

Agent: what rate are you looking for.

Johnny contractor : 500 / day

Agent: What rate are you on now?

Johhny contractor: 500/day

Sorted, init.

Exactly, this is as simple as it needs to be. It's all part of the negotiation process. And as the young lady at the airport says, if you have been contracting for a while and have savings in the bank, you can afford to be more picky about your rate -- you can turn down offers that you're not happy with.

For example, you might not work for less than 400/day unless you were down to your last month worth of savings. You might not work for less than 500/day if you have 6 month worth of savings.

And ultimately, you may not need to work at all if you have saved/invested wisely in order to generate a cash flow in excess of your average monthly expediture.

Comment

You could always ask them what their current margin is. Sort of a "I'll show you mine" kind of deal.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

If you are asking for the going rate for the job, then the agent will probably accept it. He'll still haggle, but he'll accept it. So, in your .NET example he wouldn't expect you to work for £250 a day.

Ask for a plausible figure and stick to your guns.

I tend to quote a figure (usually based on a vague spec) but say that the rate is dependant on the actual job I'm expected to do. So if I get to the interview and they want a code monkey, fine. If I get there and they want additional skills(e.g. team management) then the price goes up.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.

I just had another example of this happening, from an agent who didn't have anything specific for me, just wanted to know what kind of roles I was looking for (read the CV?!). I asked why do you want to know and she said it was to guage what kind of level I was at. When I said my current rate I'm on is between my current agent and myself she got all shirty and hung up!

WTF?! Was that just fishing??
                    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter
                      Figure what out?

I say a rate thats I want for the role if the agent comes back and says a lower one then I dont go for the role simple.
                      What do you do then? Flash your "six-pack" and demand more?

Comment

Working...
                      X