• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Martial Arts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 years Judo, international comps, from aged 8 to 19, arrived in London, did about 5 years Tai-Kwon-do (mostly with off duty Met! ), finally gave it all away at age 30, just too bloody injury prone, well not really, more like too lazy to stretch beforehand , but I do remember the fun of a good spar session, and the humility and respect of it.

One of my old spar mates has three olympic medals. and he was a very cool dude, never ever saw him annoyed at anything....ever.... except maybe closing time

Comment

Originally posted by barely_pointless
      12 years Judo, international comps, from aged 8 to 19, arrived in London, did about 5 years Tai-Kwon-do (mostly with off duty Met! ), finally gave it all away at age 30, just too bloody injury prone, well not really, more like too lazy to stretch beforehand , but I do remember the fun of a good spar session, and the humility and respect of it.

One of my old spar mates has three olympic medals. and he was a very cool dude, never ever saw him annoyed at anything....ever.... except maybe closing time
      Best bit is sparring, going tonight and after the day I have had, can't wait to beat the tulip out of someone!
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by barely_pointless

lol, maybe I stopped at just the right time in that case. When I was like 12 I used to do rolling break falls for exhibitions leaping over like 20 odd people lying down. Really hurt actually, but couldn't let that show

Comment

I was also quite injury prone, I had numerous, broken ribs, broken toes, fingers, nose. After 7 years it takes it's toll

Wonder what ill be like in 25 years when I'm 50

Comment

dunno about that, I used to get hit alot, and that's not entirely fun, but you're right sparring is good fun, the patterns are a pain in the butt though, which is why I liked Judo, no patterns, but hitting something is inevitable in judo, and it's usually the floor, which is why I mentioned stretching, the more relaxed you are , the less injury.

Comment

Yeah, when i did martial arts you got lambasted if you accidentally injured someone, I had to sit the session out for accidentally injuring people a couple of times (it was an accident, honest guv).

Surely a decent dojo would not allow any dangerous behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane
                Yeah, when i did martial arts you got lambasted if you accidentally injured someone, I had to sit the session out for accidentally injuring people a couple of times (it was an accident, honest guv).

Surely a decent dojo would not allow any dangerous behaviour.
                I always end up covered in bruises but maybe thats just me! Especially from blocking - between my wrists and my elbows - always - black and blue!
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith
                  I always end up covered in bruises but maybe thats just me! Especially from blocking - between my wrists and my elbows - always - black and blue!
                  Oh yeah, I suppose you're going to get that (although even then that's a bit much for semi-contact sparring).

I was talking about accidentally whacking someone in the nose, causing it to bleed etc.

Comment

Semi contact lol

I wont spar unless it full on, obviously you don't turn it into a street brawl but there no point sparring if everything is pulled.

I've had a broken nose through sparring, I've also knocked somone clean out and have taken some pretty heavy blows (again no jokes) in sparring.

It's all part and parcel of the training, you wouldnt go into a boxing gym and expect them to tickle you would ya?

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter
                      Semi contact lol

I wont spar unless it full on, obviously you don't turn it into a street brawl but there no point sparring if everything is pulled.

I've had a broken nose through sparring, I've also knocked somone clean out and have taken some pretty heavy blows (again no jokes) in sparring.

It's all part and parcel of the training, you wouldnt go into a boxing gym and expect them to tickle you would ya?
                      I have been to a boxing gym a few times and the sparring wasn't too bad, full contact is a bit much for the casual practitioner. No-one fancies getting knocked out of an evening

Comment

Working...
                      X