• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3,000,000 house to be built by Labour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardesco
    I say let them all in and move elsewhere. Then leave Britain as the stinking hole it is deservedly becoming and when "global warming" kicks in Britain will sink and the probelm will dissapear. Millions of scivers and benefits blaggers dealt with in one fell swoop. Job done!!

Seriously though, I think we should follow Prescott's idea and build all 3 million new homes in the Thames Gateway. Fatso obviously did his homework because that will be the first area to sink if the sea level rises!

As an added bonus, there's plenty of room there and it's out of the way for the rest of us!

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
      I agree with this in principle. However labour should make sure that they are not:

- £500,000 mansions
      - sold to anyone with an exisitng house
      - built entirely on green belt (there are lots of disused brown fields that needs regening before the green belt is touched).
      I think everyone (except Sockpuppet) can agree that £500,000 mansions are exactly what we need - not £500,000 studio flats like we have now.

Also, building on the green belt (mostly wasted mono-culture farmland) is much better than building on brownfield (our gardens and playing fields).

It would be a good plan if they were sold on the open market, but sadly they will all be handed to Party members at subsidised prices, probably forcing up prices for the honest folk..

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
        I agree with this in principle. However labour should make sure that they are not:

- £500,000 mansions
        - sold to anyone with an exisitng house
        - built entirely on green belt (there are lots of disused brown fields that needs regening before the green belt is touched).
        500K mansions? where do I get one of those in the SE.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain
          Also, building on the green belt (mostly wasted mono-culture farmland) is much better than building on brownfield (our gardens and playing fields).
          I thought about countering this statement but the utter bloody stupidity of it left me too numb to do anything but sit at my keyboard an gawp like a landed trout.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
            I thought about countering this statement but the utter bloody stupidity of it left me too numb to do anything but sit at my keyboard an gawp like a landed trout.
            Another trout, right here.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
              Am I wrong then? I thought brownfield included parks and gardens and allotments and playing fields, stuff that is pretty important in towns and cities.

Greenfield is for farmers getting subsidies to spray pesticides and raise genetically modified crops etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain
                Greenfield is for farmers getting subsidies to spray pesticides and raise genetically modified crops etc.?
                And land left to nature, all of our forests are greenfield.

What do you think our wonderful nu Liemore government are going to dig up, farmers land or a few forests?

Comment

There are plenty of existing brownfield sites to use which wouldn't be to the detriment of the current inhabitants. Old sprawling abandoned industrial estates which the businesses have left for all the new landscaped business parks. Plenty of these could be redeveloped and relandscaped first without resorting to trashing the greenbelt.

They would have the added benefit of already having the vital (and frequently overlooked) supporting infrastructure - roads, drains, services.

Comment

Do you think there should be a couple more definitions of land, so that brownfield and greenfield can't be abused?

E.g. greyfield - former industrial or boarded up housing estate
                    yellowfield - monocultured farmland
                    bluefield - flood plains that will flood the next time it rains.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba
                      Do you think there should be a couple more definitions of land, so that brownfield and greenfield can't be abused?

E.g. greyfield - former industrial or boarded up housing estate
                      yellowfield - monocultured farmland
                      bluefield - flood plains that will flood the next time it rains.
                      Good point.

'Brownfield' can mean almost anything the government or developers want it to mean.

Surely there should be gradations of 'used' land that take into account its suitability for building, difficulty to clean up, present amenity value to the community, flood risk etc.

This green/brown thing is a bit black and white, if you follow me.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X