• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed

Number of homeowners defaulting doubles in six months Printable Version
    By: Lorna Bourke, Money Columnist

The number of homebuyers defaulting on their mortgage repayments has leapt from 36,000 a month throughout 2006 to 77,000 a month over the past six months.

Figures from the Council of Mortgage Lenders for the end of 2006 showed around 59,000 mortgages were three to six months in arrears.

Sean Gardner, chief executive of website MoneyExpert.com which carried out the research said: ‘Missing a mortgage payment is a real signal of distress and anyone in such dire straits needs to address the issue as soon as possible. We are a long way from the dark days of the late 1980s and early 1990s when more than a million lost their homes but many are feeling the strain.’

Back in 1990-91 property prices collapsed as mortgage rate leapt to an all-time high of 15.4% and hundreds of thousands of young homebuyers found themselves with ‘negative equity’ - a mortgage that was greater than the value of their home. Many walked away and handed the keys back to the lender when they found they could not meet the mortgage repayments.

Gardner sensibly advises that anyone who has missed a mortgage payment should be talking to their lender and letting them know what is going on. They should also look to cut spending and reduce debt across the board, sorting out their finances and getting all loans and credit cards under control. It’s worth looking at consolidating expensive credit card debt and personal loans in a remortgage.
    I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

What people in that situation should do is bury their heads in the sand and finance their day-to-days with credit cards. It'll all be alright in the end [when I buy their repo'ed house at auction].

Comment

Ikea announces UK-wide job cuts
      Ikea is to make a number of its UK staff redundant due to "challenging" trading conditions in the home furnishing sector, the BBC has learned.
      Although the firm has yet to say how many workers will be affected, the cuts will be made by January 2008.

Ikea said in a statement that its UK operations needed to become "more productive, efficient, and flexible".

The Swedish giant has 15 stores across the UK and 9,000 workers. Another two branches will open later this year.

"Today we recognise that the way in which we operate our units is not meeting the needs of our customers, nor is it always a lean, simple and quick way of working," Ikea said.

"In addition the home furnishing sector in which we operate has had a couple of challenging years.

"Indications from the market are that this will continue."

It added that it was also being affected by increased competition from the supermarket sector.
      I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

feck me, if Ikea at the cheapest end of the market can't make a profit with the crap they produce for next to nout in china and sell for next to feck all in the UK what hope is there for the rest of the market ?

Milan.

Comment

[QUOTE=Numptycorner]The Swedish giant has 15 stores across the UK and 9,000 workers. [QUOTE]

600 workers per store!? No ferking way.

Comment

Exactly, people have so little spare cash, even Ikea is in a mess.

Comment

It's a pisser. I'm down to me last million already.

Comment

Originally posted by The Master
                What people in that situation should do is bury their heads in the sand and finance their day-to-days with credit cards. It'll all be alright in the end [when I buy their repo'ed house at auction].
                Another Cunning Plan, Oh Great and Evil One... possibly the most Evil yet.

Comment

Give me break

Originally posted by Numptycorner
                  Gardner sensibly advises that anyone who has missed a mortgage payment should be talking to their lender and letting them know what is going on. They should also look to cut spending and reduce debt across the board, sorting out their finances and getting all loans and credit cards under control. It’s worth looking at consolidating expensive credit card debt and personal loans in a remortgage.

Bloody hell, that is stating the obvious. anyway, if you are behind on your mortage payments, surley the providor is not going to lend you more money?

Where do they find these genius's.

I cant pay my mortgage so I must cut my out goings and reduce debt? I would have thought that that would be too obvious to even print.
                  There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
                    Where do they find these genius's.
                    Genii?

Or is that something that appears out of a lamp?

Comment

Working...
                    X