• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Future Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it is any consolation you'll find that everyone everywhere feels that about their country. When you move to a new country there is usually a "honeymoon" period, particularly where you're relieved to leave your problems behind you. But once you've lived in a few different countries, you find out they're all going to the dogs and everyone wants to leave and start a new life somewhere. In fact Britain isn't doing too bad. But hey lets face it if we didn't think like that, the human race would be an endangered species confined to the savanna in Africa.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
      Just move to mid-Wales.
      It would be nice but there is family/friends etc, and just now there are havens not too far out. I think this will change quite dramatically with the new ongoing mass influx from the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by portseven
        I keep trying to talk the Mrs into moving to Canada, though she is still reluctant because of family.

Canada is the place to be at the moment, esp Alberta with all the Oil they have just found in the sand. They have a sensible health service and house prices are better than here (you get more for your money).

And the weather is not that bad, sure they have fecking cold winters, you just need to prepare for that, but the summers can get pretty hot too.
        I left Canada because of the weather - after 30 years I just got tired of -30 winter days..and oh yeah winter starts in many places in November and doesn't lift until April. It starts seriously cooling down in September!

And in summer you get mosquitos...yay!

But...there is much more space and its a much more open society with very little of the ethnic issues which abound here.

I do miss it. But then there's winter and high taxes and crappy roads and lousy shopping and expensive flights anywhere.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by portseven
          Too bloody right, she seems to think that she will never see her parents again, despite the fact that you can get cheap flights to Canada nowadays and communication is a world away from what it used to be.

Even a couple of years stint out there would be nice. Now and then I have a look at mls.ca just to toruture myself with the houses you can get for the money.
          For the price of a damp bedsit in East London you can have a 6 bedroom mansion on Vancouver Island with 5 acres overlooking the ocean.

Tough choice that one...

Comment

"fecking" cold winters are a serious p*** in the ar**.

I live in Germany and Switzerland and I find it too cold sometimes in Winter. Brushing the snow off the car, day after day, really gets irritating.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
              If it is any consolation you'll find that everyone everywhere feels that about their country. When you move to a new country there is usually a "honeymoon" period, particularly where you're relieved to leave your problems behind you. But once you've lived in a few different countries, you find out they're all going to the dogs and everyone wants to leave and start a new life somewhere. In fact Britain isn't doing too bad. But hey lets face it if we didn't think like that, the human race would be an endangered species confined to the savanna in Africa.
              Quite, leaving the country because you think it is "going to the dogs" will end in tears - most countries have their share of bitter expats to back this up.

Better idea maybe to go for the positive experience rather than an escape.

Bit ironic that a forum that debates immigrants ad-nauseum has so many people prepared to become 'bloody immigrants' (make no mistake - that is how you would be considered by some of the locals wherever you go!)

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Sign on for the Colony Worlds....
                Now now, alien-lizard-guy-type-thing, we all know that this is a thinly-disguised attempt at farming long-pig nearer to your homeworld.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Damn.

Am I that transparent?
                  It was the 'high acceleration suspension fluid' that tasted like brown sauce which gave it away. That and the special breathing masks that looked suspiciously like apples.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor
                    Bit ironic that a forum that debates immigrants ad-nauseum has so many people prepared to become 'bloody immigrants' (make no mistake - that is how you would be considered by some of the locals wherever you go!)
                    That is very true. And in most of them there is no protection against discrimination as there is here.

It comes as a shock to many when they have to pay for health care and their kid’s education too. It makes you realise why so many want to come here.

A thick skin and deep pockets are required.
                    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Surely the best place to go is India, since you speak their language already (English) and they have your job there waiting for you?

Comment

Working...
                      X