• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Downtime

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use such time by self learning new technologies,,,,

Comment

So much to do in my current contract:
      1)post drivel on here
      2)learn new skills
      3)listen to music
      4) go to loo
      5)drink coffee
      6)browse all of the internet

Comment

Originally posted by yellow
        What does one do when waiting on a project manager or fellow worker to allocate work?

Personally I feel a bit guilty when there are a couple of days (even hours) of downtime during a project, I chase people up but what more can you do?

Would the most altruistic thing be to go home and not charge for the day?
        It's standard practice to post on here, so well done.

Comment

There are ALWAYS chargeable things to do ! Refining documentation, gold-plating program code, sending lots of 'whats the progress' e-mails, etc.
          It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
            Treble yeah, right!
            Or you could be the guy known as 'that lazy f*cker who reads the paper all day'.

Your choice.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy
              If there isn't anything productive you can do you should go home and not charge for the time.
              Utter bollocks, assuming you were hired on a fixed-term contract. Why should you lose income because of something beyond your control?

Provided your client contact is aware you have no work, and you promptly make that known in case of possible doubt, there's no reason whatever to feel guilty.

This is inevitable sometimes, even in the best run organisations, and generally IMHO it's a professional and moral obligation on your part to at least look busy, i.e. not attract undue attention by word or deed to the absence of work.

However, some clients have a schizophrenic attribute to contractors (as in they hate them but they need them) and if this manifests itself as it occasionally does by them transferring blame and hostility to you for their inability to provide you with work then it's time to put your feet up and start reading the paper at your desk, or in extreme cases walking out.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Yup post tulipe on here all day
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy
                  Offer to do some testing/bug fixing/documentation i.e. go look for something to do which will make life easier for others. If there isn't anything productive you can do you should go home and not charge for the time.
                  I've considered that, but since I'm working away from home, I'll stay in the office rather than go back to the Travel Tavern and sit on me own for the day.

It's taken me three weeks to write a document so far...
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by yellow
                    What does one do when waiting on a project manager or fellow worker to allocate work?

Peronsally I feel a bit guilty when there are a couple of days (even hours) of downtime during a project, I chase people up but what more can you do?

Would the most altruistic thing be to go home and not charge for the day?
                    You can come and work for me.
                    I'm a PM waiting for workers to actually do some work. Only 8 weeks behind schedule... The client is well aware of the situation so I'm covered.

Seriously though, you've done it right - let them know you aren't busy, after that it is up to them. Definitely don't go home and not charge - especially as you are working away.

Spend the time learning new skills. I'm currently learning about the more advanced features of MS project which ordinarily I don't have time to do as I'm too busy managing projects.
                    Back at the coal face

Comment

After another afternoon of nothing on Thursday (tucked away some good UML/NUnit stuff though) I came in Friday morning and was told it would be an hour or two till I was allocated some work, by midday it was clear this wasn't going to happen - so I spoke to my project manager and said it was best if I went home 'cos I couldn't charge for doing nothing - I needed to have a bit of time to do some paperwork at home and stuff (i.e. go down the park) anyway so it was all fine.

I think it was more of a goodwill gesture if anything; it's my first contract for my limited company, I'm on a reasonable day rate and it just felt like the right thing to do at the time.

However, I think if it happens again I'll agree with OwlHoot - I've signed a contract in good faith to come here for eight weeks at an agreed rate and amount of time for the work they need done, I am losing income 'cos of their organisational issues.

BTW - Been here an hour now, PM isn't even in yet...hmmm...

Comment

Working...
                      X