• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drivers manners these days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    "Is it mirror, manoeuvre, these days on the test?"

No it's manoeuvre, mirror, gesture
    Just to be really, really pedantic - we now teach MSPSL not MSM to pupils.

Mirror, Signal, Position, Speed, Look

Most drivers though tend to use ML

Move, Look in mirror at they mayhem behind them

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
      Not at all.
      1. Middle and if necessary outside lanes are for those who go faster, or want to if they're not held up.
      2. You can drive as close as you like to the car in front, because if he sees something to make him brake, so will you. If he brakes when you can see it's not really necessary, and you hit him, that's his fault.
      If he brakes and you hit him because you are too close, it is your fault. You will not always see why he brakes...therefor you should be at least 2 seconds behind him.

Comment

Man, so much p1sses me off these days, but....

On a daily basis, the scrotes who indicate right when going around a roundabout, then continue indicating right as they drive off it...you should indicate left when exiting a roundabout.

That's if they indicate at all of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105
          Man, so much p1sses me off these days, but....

On a daily basis, the scrotes who indicate right when going around a roundabout, then continue indicating right as they drive off it...you should indicate left when exiting a roundabout.

That's if they indicate at all of course.
          I stopped indicating right on large roundabouts, as scrotes will pull out in front of you into the left lane just as you are about to indicate left and leave the roundabout.

Keep em guessing I say!

Comment

Originally posted by spiderlover
            Mirror, Signal, Position, Speed, Look
            That has always been the case for the Advanced test. "Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre" - with Manoeuvre being broken down into: "Position, Speed, Look".

Nothings changed - it's just been brought into the regular test.
            Last edited by Mustang; 4 July 2007, 10:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
              Yes and yes.

I think driving in London turns you into some sort of crazed monster. Maybe that's just me.

As for driving in Moscow, I wouldn't try it.

I think it's related to the amount of free space on the roads.
              A couple of years ago I had a gig in west London and managed to blag free parking with it and so used to drive in.

It wasn't long afterwards that my driving style changed from relatively laid back to more aggressive and selfish - I would not give anyone way, I would cut up drivers etc. It's law of the jungle in town and you have to drive like this to get anywhere.

Problem was, this became my default driving style, so when not in town, I was still driving this way. Once the gig finished it took a few weeks for my driving style to revert back to it's original style.

With regards driving standards in general, it has got much worse. Most drivers fail to use foresight to anticipate potential hazards - they struggle to see past the front of their vehicle. It's another area where technology (parking sensors, cruise control etc) has 'dumbed down' the experience.

Comment

I think society is dumbing down in general and driving skills are one of a number that suffer. The proverbial "common sense" is disappearing and that can't help matters either.

Most people generally agree that we are becoming a society of 'Have' and 'Have Nots' - the difference in our case is that "have" refers to intelligence!!

Comment

I've got one to add to the list. People that don't indicate when they overtake cyclists. I find this more disturbing than people that overtake very close, which is something you just get used to. The thing with indicating is that the vehicle behind you might not be aware that the cyclist is there. This is especially true with vans and big 4x4s with blacked out windows. They move out a fraction without indicating, overtake, and there's a good chance that the vehicle behind won't move out at all. I've had some really scary close misses from that scenario, and hardly anyone indicates as they overtake cyclists.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                    Not at all.
                    1. Middle and if necessary outside lanes are for those who go faster, or want to if they're not held up.
                    2. You can drive as close as you like to the car in front, because if he sees something to make him brake, so will you. If he brakes when you can see it's not really necessary, and you hit him, that's his fault.
                    This is tongue in cheek right?

1/ the middle lane is the overtaking lane, the outside lane is the 'overtaking only' lane. The idea is to move over as soon as is safe to do so.

2/ that's what causes accidents and jams. If you leave a gap you can see if you need to brake or not, often you don't need to. With tailgatting you always need to brake. What if he fails to brake for a hazzard and you both crash into it?

You really must be joking
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                      This is tongue in cheek right?
                      You really must be joking
                      Thats the way some people really see it, but thats a p1ss take of course

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities
                      Me too. Sad or what...
                      I think a bumper sticker which says 'HAVE YOU EVER STUDIED F'ING QUEUEING THEORY??' is in order

Comment

Working...
                      X