• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smoking ban

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burdock
    hang on!

Geoff Hurst wasn't smoking when he scored the winning goal in the World Cup.
    Lord Nelson wasn't having a fag at the battle of Trafalgar.
    Winston Churchill wasn't having a crafty puff during our finest hour.

ok, scrap the last one...
    Geoff Hurst smoked 20 Senior Service at half time.
    Lord Nelson was smoking a pipe laced with opium when the frogs turned up
    Call the cops

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
      Well, ok then....lets also get rid of all the pubs eh?
      Now calm down SA. This smoking ban is a GOOD thing, and trying to equate it to drinking is just farcical. Someone having a drink is NOT, repeat NOT bad for the surrounding fellow revellers' health. Smoking most definitely is. No point going off on one about all the fights that are caused by drunks every weekend either. There are already laws in place banning that sort of activity too (regardless of how well they might get enforced!).
      The fact of the matter is that you and the rest of the weak-willed that were stupid enough to take up smoking in your adolescence to no doubt try and look cool, are now going to have to curtail your habits whilst in amongst the rest of us.
      Now if only they would do something about all the cheapskates clogging my local Wetherspoons up drinking fooking coffee, the better the world might be!
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

It's right to ban smoking in public places. Non-smokers who are by far the majority should have the right to a smoke-free environment.

Now stop whinging. No one is banning you from smoking at home, where that nasty habit belongs.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
          Now if only they would do something about all the cheapskates clogging my local Wetherspoons up drinking fooking coffee, the better the world might be!

yeah! my wetherspoons seems to be attracting tramps lately. they wanna stick a quid on each drink to discourage the riff-raff...(the pints would still be less than 2 nicker).

Comment

Best thing this govt has ever done is the smoking ban - if the selfish feckers (smokers) don't have any consideration for those around them then stuff 'em.

A particular bug bear is when they smoke while driving (just as dangerous as being on a mobile) and then flick the fag out the window - somthing wrong with your ashtray?

Comment

Originally posted by freakydancer
              I'm with you there - I'll give up when I want to give up, not when some pc prat tells me. The country has gone mad - our society was created in smoky pubs, getting pissed and having a good time, not drinking coffee in Cafe Nero and worrying what time the gym shuts and if we get our 5-a-day - load of bollocks.
              Yes and they sent kids up chimneys and hanged thieves for petty crime too.
              And life expectancy was about 40, if you were lucky.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Just got my employers interpretation.

No smoking in privately owned vehicles used on company business. Apparently it becomes an enclosed workplace

I wonder how much my 20k mile by taxi is going to cost them. I will stop using my own car next week.

Comment

Is it true that they can all still smoke in House of Commons bars?

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
                    Just got my employers interpretation.

No smoking in privately owned vehicles used on company business. Apparently it becomes an enclosed workplace

I wonder how much my 20k mile by taxi is going to cost them. I will stop using my own car next week.
                    You won't be able to smoke in a taxi, either.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaqqer
                      You won't be able to smoke in a taxi, either.
                      Maybe he could try on a motorbike?
                      It could be hard to get the ciggy through the visor though, and I don't think bikes come with a lighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X