• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you imagine contracting without a car ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

being up north and outside manchester, i need a car! the public transport here is crap at best!

plus contract i'm currently on sees me in Stirling and Reading... a little travel involved!

I'd honestly be knackered. getting bus to Manchester would take over an hour and i'm only 12 miles from the centre. driving takes about 30mins depending what time i leave which back roads i use.
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Yes I can

I have a car and use it regularly, except for going to work!
      I've worked in both Norwich and Edinburgh and find that buses are adequate for travelling to and from work, especially in these days of the "professional working day" means that they are a lot more flexible in the hours I am supposed to be there.
      Of course that means living in the city / town where the work is and not everyone can do this.
      It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Like Scooby I live just outside Manchester (Glossop) and my last few gig's have been the other side (Knutsford / Warrington / Skem) getting public transport to those places from Glossop is just not an option so a car is essential.

Though I would love to not use it, a few gig's in Manchester would be great, but you get what you can. I would love to get the train in and out each day, it would give me couple of hours chill out time.
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe
          I've worked in both Norwich and Edinburgh
          One Account/RBS?
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Unless you live in London or sleep in the disabled toilet at work you will need a car.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
              sleep in the disabled toilet at work.
              Didn't see that answer in the accommodation on the road thread.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I was without one for a bit and just rented one when I needed it - that's a legitimate business expense.
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Asked a girl if I could start right away
                  She siad listen Babe - I got something to say
                  I got no car - and its breaking my car
                  But I found a driver and thats a start

Baby you can drive my Car
                  Yes Im gonna be a star
                  And maybe I'll Love you

Told an agent that my prospects were good
                  And she said listen Babe - its understood
                  Working for peanuts
                  Its all very fine
                  But I can show you a better time

Baby you can drive my Car
                  Yes Im gonna be a star
                  And maybe I'll Love you

Comment

My new gig means I'll be commuting via Public transport, so I am now looking for reasons to keep some of my cars. I must admit I'm struggling
                    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Wouldnt mind pre-empting the money im bringing in now as a newbie contractor, and buying something horrifically impractical and bling ...

.... but im resisting the urge right now, and going to get the cheapest bucket possible once i get kicked off the fiesta 1.25l im borrowing at the moment.

A bit of a comedown from my alfa GTV days.

Comment

Working...
                      X