• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salman Rushdie title 'may spark attacks'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stan
    The country is corrupt to the core, it's citizens poorly educated, and is being run by a general who is pally with/coerced by the US.
    Pakistan also has a massive problem with radical mullahs, This is just a huge media exercise a'la Labour. They look tough and the illiterate may just follow them instead.

Really these titles have lost all their meaning and I don't know what the fuss is. They're handing them out like free candy to anyone these days. The illiterate of Pakistan don't know that of course.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Lambros
      I think the issue here is respecting other peoples' cultures. Part of the muslim culture is that no-one is allowed to offend Mohammed. I could never be a muslim because such a concept is so ridiculous to my personal view, and I'm sure that if Mohammed is a god he has a big sense of humour and zero ego!

Of course we should still respect other peoples' customs. Not to do so is uncivilised. Rushdie was being controversial at the time, and that's a matter for him. His actions still caused people to lose their lives. Now, Tony Blair has chosen to repeat that insensitivity, and it could cause further loss of life. Still Blair is responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths so whats are few more?
      Why dont you roll over and let the nazi's tickle your arse?

Respect is earnt, not demanded and if they want some respect its probably a good start to show others the same respect they are demanding.

The honors list is a British tradition...in fact you could go so far as to say its a British Cultural Tradition and as such they should respect that fact.

Mailman

Comment

Working...
      X