• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

boats boats boats...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    Atw will be your cabin boy!
    Bah sock, what did I ever say to you?

Comment

Originally posted by The Master
      Or pay YourCo a commercial rate when you're using it for your own personal use as opposed to chartering it out.

This is oft overlooked as an option. There is no BIK to pay if you pay YourCo to use the facility, which, as long as you don't take the p1ss could be a little below the market rate without attracting attention.
      You can do better than that. If you don't mind sailing (groan) a little close to the wind you can get away with paying only the marginal costs. i.e. provided the cost to the employer of providing the benefit is met then there is no BIK. This can be substantially less than the commercial rate.

I think there was a case involing school fees where masters were provided free places for their children. Taxman wanted tax on the value of school fees, teachers wanted to pay based on benefit of pretty close to nil (i.e. marginal cost of a place). Teachers won. May be worth following up with the accountant.

Comment

Cheers...
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          Bah sock, what did I ever say to you?
          Nothing. You just dont strike me as a drive voer to your house and beat you up kinda guy. Zeitghost on the other hand....

Comment

Quiet. Zeitghost will make canned food from you while eating starter comprising of a few alive mice...

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
              Atw will be your cabin boy!
              He had plenty of experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6UPxdK65JU
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                He had plenty of experience.
                Normally it's the other way around - the pigs will have you.

Comment

HMRC have it covered ...

The sailaway boat scheme which was in the vat notes recently .....

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

Easy peasy - buy it, load it up with booze, food and bog roll, and anchor outside territorial waters for 12 months. Hey presto, you have a vat free boat.

Edited - I thought it was 2 months, but its 12.

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1
                    The sailaway boat scheme which was in the vat notes recently .....

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

Easy peasy - buy it, load it up with booze, food and bog roll, and anchor outside territorial waters for 12 months. Hey presto, you have a vat free boat.

Edited - I thought it was 2 months, but its 12.

very interesting! thanks
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X