• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£1,300,000,000,000 in debt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW
    When you sell shares you pay capital gains tax (if you sold for more than you bought). However if you keep shares for X years you will get tax relief of Y%. The intention is clear - encourage long term share holding: people who buy shares for short term are speculants that ruin it all for everyone including themselves, but they are too dumb and greedy to understand this.

So, there is already framework for what I suggest - what I am saying is that tax rate for capital gains on short term shareholding should be higher, say 90% rather than current 40%. Perhaps tax rate should be lower for those industries that actually invest into making something real rather than bullsh1t stuff that has no intrinsic value.
    You do spout tulipe. Stick to coding, I'm reasonably sure you must be OK at that.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      When you sell shares you pay capital gains tax (if you sold for more than you bought). However if you keep shares for X years you will get tax relief of Y%. The intention is clear - encourage long term share holding: people who buy shares for short term are speculants that ruin it all for everyone including themselves, but they are too dumb and greedy to understand this.

So, there is already framework for what I suggest - what I am saying is that tax rate for capital gains on short term shareholding should be higher, say 90% rather than current 40%. Perhaps tax rate should be lower for those industries that actually invest into making something real rather than bullsh1t stuff that has no intrinsic value.
      Bit off-topic but there is no capital gains tax in Belgium - this makes me fell like a right lazy sod for not doing exactly what you are proposing to penalise.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor
        Bit off-topic but there is no capital gains tax in Belgium - this makes me fell like a right lazy sod for not doing exactly what you are proposing to penalise.
        I am talking about UK. The approach is logical and makes sense - short term speculants wield way too much power, this forced boards to make short term decisions to appease lysts in the City and Wall Street, the end result is that fundamental science get investment pretty much only in the USA, and that only for military applications.

The added bonus is that overpaid people in the City will get kick up their bottoms and hopefully will apply their, no doubt, vast knowledge to working on things that will actually benefit humanity rather than being parasites that are slowly but surely killing the host on which they live.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW

The added bonus is that overpaid people in the City will get kick up their bottoms and hopefully will apply their, no doubt, vast knowledge to working on things that will actually benefit humanity rather than being parasites that are slowly but surely killing the host on which they live.
          I know you're trying to get your post count up but do you have to post utter tulipe? Your ignorance is truly stupendous. The City has been preeminent for 400 years and provided all the mechanisms to fund sea voyages, the industrial revolution, Britain's overseas wars etc. etc
          Do try pulling your head from out of your arse and try to learn some basic economics.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yes, that's fair enough - good finance system is very beneficial, however it all moves towards the City being the only lucrative industry in the UK: it's like driver of the bus started considering himself being far more important than the passenger he was carrying.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              Yes, that's fair enough - good finance system is very beneficial, however it all moves towards the City being the only lucrative industry in the UK: it's like driver of the bus started considering himself being far more important than the passenger he was carrying.
              You haven't got a clue and I have no time to enlighten you. Enjoy wallowing in ignorance, like a pig in tulipe
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

The future will show who was right

Comment

Working...
                X