• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things to do in New York

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seek out The Dead Poet on Amsterdam and 81st. Ask for a "Walt Whitman" if you dare (it's a cocktail served in a pint glass).

Circle Line tour is good - get to see the island from angles you wouldn't normally do.

Get on the subway and head out to Coney Island. Coney Island itself is a bit sh!t (The Cyclone was shut when I went), but the subway ride is great - heading out over the place where that car chase in The French Connection happened.

Find the Metropolitan Museum near Central Park - one of the best museum's I've ever been in, especially the musical instruments collection.

Find out if there are any shows on in Central Park - when I was there Asian Dub Foundation were playing which was well worth a look.

Empire State of course. Isn't as good as the Twin Towers were, but you have to take second best nowadays. Go up twice, once in the day and once at night.

If you're going shopping, go at night. Most shops are open until beyond midnight and you beat the tourist crowds that way.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Broadway - numerous plays and comedy stands
      Empire state building
      Times Square
      Shopping - Macey's, 5th Avenue, China Town
      Brooklyn bridge
      Statue of liberty
      Excursions to Brooklyn, Harlem, Bronx etc
      Visit MTV and ABC building (both opposite each other at the corner of Times Sq)
      Donald Trump Tower
      Museums
      Famous Movies /TV series shooting places (Cafe of famous scene from when Harry met Sally, Soup Nazi shop from Seinfeld, famous Delis Roxy and Carnegie(sp)
      Got to try New York Pizza and New York Cheese cake, also try their pastrami and pickle deli

Comment

horse trip round central park is good...
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
          horse trip round central park is good...
          Not so good for the horse though - they get treated appallingly and don't have enough water in hot weather - http://www.satyamag.com/aug94/jordan.html
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center) is a better view than Empire State - plus there are less queues and it's cheaper!

Good to go half hour before sunset so you see daylight, sunset and the city lit up

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
              I wouldn't visit the world trade centre, the view isn't what it used to be
              Tell me about it. I still kick myself for having never taken a picture when I was there, specially from the observation floor.

Comment

Working...
              X