• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saudi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saudi

Anyone experience of working and/or living in Saudi? Apart from the things that are common knowledge (e.g. compounds, drinking, driving, heat) has anyone useful information to provide - especially in regard to taking families there?

I have been contacted regarding a contract there so any information useful.

Whereabouts in Saudi?
    Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

get your money up front - I have heard a contract isnt worth sh1t until money has exchanged hands.

There is always an excuse about waiting for the stock market to rise to relaease funds etc etc

Comment

Speak to BAE Systems about any possible up-front payments (or is that bribes?) to ensure to get the business. But don't let the DTI know.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang
          Anyone experience of working and/or living in Saudi? Apart from the things that are common knowledge (e.g. compounds, drinking, driving, heat) has anyone useful information to provide - especially in regard to taking families there?

I have been contacted regarding a contract there so any information useful.
          Does this contract involve any "commission" to Prince Bandar

Personally speaking, Saudi Arabia is a country i would not have any dealings with. Must be one of the most obnoxius regimes on the planet up there with Mugabe & Kim Il Sung

Comment

I did a stint in Riyadh and I wouldn't go back there for double the money, I was single at the time and it was grim. The blokes with young families had a slightly better situation in that your wife and kids are with you but the family are pretty much confined to the compound on a day to day basis and I wouldn't do it. If the work is near to Bahrain then there is a possibility you can daily commute over the bridge into Saudi and leave the family in a slightly better environment. I think some of the Saudi coastal cities could be a bit better but it's a pretty dysfunctional place all round. I'm not sure it's that politically stable either and could kick off at some stage. I think you can adapt to anything and I'm sure some long termers with a fortune in an offshore bank would paint a better picture.

Comment

Don't go near Riyadh - the most boring place on Earth. And wifey had better get used to the idea of being a third-class citizen (livestock have more rights). She won't be able to work legally (though they turn a blind eye to teachers and medics) or drive a car, and won't be able to go out unless accompanied by a male relative.

Also, last I heard (which may be well out of date), get your accomodation paid for as part of the deal, as it can be pricey to rent in a gated community
              Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Working...
              X