• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear - EU nanny state = goodbye nice cars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear - EU nanny state = goodbye nice cars

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/eur...ry/default.stm

Everyone must drive a grey 0.5 litre city car at no more than 20 mph.

As these sorts of laws will be for new cars, I think the main effect will be a big increase in the number of older cars on the roads.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Anoter stupid law to be created by loony government...

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
        As these sorts of laws will be for new cars, I think the main effect will be a big increase in the number of older cars on the roads.

So do you think manufacturers will then start building more "older" cars?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Mr Davies notes that between 1994 and 2004 the power of new cars went up by 28%, making them a lot heavier, and so increasing the amount of CO2 they put out, even though no country raised its speed limit to allow cars to use this increased power.
          What an obvious fsckwit who doesn't even appear to know the legislation the EU has already passed!

The weight went up, because the manufacturers had to build in loads of extra safety features mandated by EU regulation. To remain competitive, the power output had to increase to move this extra weight. The reality is that all other parts, such as the engine, the weight has reduced.

I have an old M5, it can give the new ones a run for their money, basically because it is so much lighter.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            I have an old M5, it can give the new ones a run for their money, basically because it is so much lighter.
            <ahem>Doesn't that depend on the weight of the driver?

Comment

Working...
            X