• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Muhammad is No 2 in boy's names

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muhammad is now second only to Jack as the most popular name for baby boys in Britain and is likely to rise to No 1 by next year, a study by The Times has found. The name, if all 14 different spellings are included, was shared by 5,991 newborn boys last year, beating Thomas into third place, followed by Joshua and Oliver.

Although the official names register places the spelling Mohammed at No 23, an analysis of the top 3,000 names provided by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) puts Muhammad at No 2 once the 14 spellings are taken into account. If its popularity continues – it rose by 12 per cent last year – the name will take the top spot by the end of this year. It first entered the Top 30 in 2000.

Overall, Muslims account for 3 per cent of the British population, about 1.5 million people. However, the Muslim birthrate is roughly three times higher than the non Muslim one.

Statistics from the ONS show that Muslim households are larger than those headed by someone of another religion. In 2001, the average size of a Muslim household was 3.8 people while a third contained more than five people.

Originally posted by maximus

Muhammad is now second only to Jack as the most popular name for baby boys in Britain and is likely to rise to No 1 by next year, a study by The Times has found. The name, if all 14 different spellings are included, was shared by 5,991 newborn boys last year, beating Thomas into third place, followed by Joshua and Oliver.

Although the official names register places the spelling Mohammed at No 23, an analysis of the top 3,000 names provided by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) puts Muhammad at No 2 once the 14 spellings are taken into account. If its popularity continues – it rose by 12 per cent last year – the name will take the top spot by the end of this year. It first entered the Top 30 in 2000.

Overall, Muslims account for 3 per cent of the British population, about 1.5 million people. However, the Muslim birthrate is roughly three times higher than the non Muslim one.

Statistics from the ONS show that Muslim households are larger than those headed by someone of another religion. In 2001, the average size of a Muslim household was 3.8 people while a third contained more than five people.

Can I draw a cartoon of Muhammad?
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Just shows how uncreative they are. Think of something original like "tiger lilly".

Maybe my plan B could be ethnic condoms.

Comment

You forgot to link the article.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...9-2703,00.html

This bit is relevant too, though you left it out.

Muhammad, which means “one who is praiseworthy”, is often given to boys as an honorary prefix and is followed by the name by which they are commonly known.
        The count for muslim boys then is heavily grouped into a single name rather than spread out as the others are:

1 Jack 6928, 2 Muhammad (all spellings) 5991, 3 Thomas 5921, 4 Joshua 5808, 5 Oliver 5208, 6 Harry 5006, 7 James 4783, 8 William 4327, 9 Samuel 4320, 10 Daniel 4303, 11 Charlie 4178, 12 Benjamin 3778, 13 Joseph 3755, 14 Callum 3517, 15 George 3386, 16 Jake 3353, 17 Alfie 3194, 18 Luke 3108, 19 Matthew 3043, 20 Ethan 3020

Of course it makes for good scare stories though.
        All that is necessary for evil members to succeed is that good members post nothing

Comment

We have been through this subject before.

FFS. Does it matter what anyone's name is? Get them working, and paying taxes and they are integrated into the same world as everyone else.

I live in London. London has always needed immigrants to keep it going. Not just recently, not just 100 years ago, but it was the same 2000 years ago.

London has done pretty well out of it I feel, so to take your backwoods attitude back to the sticks.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo

FFS. Does it matter what anyone's name is? Get them working, and paying taxes and they are integrated into the same world as everyone else.

I live in London. London has always needed immigrants to keep it going. Not just recently, not just 100 years ago, but it was the same 2000 years ago.

London has done pretty well out of it I feel, so to take your backwoods attitude back to the sticks.

Thanks.
            A fair point well made.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo

Thanks.

Mohammed Gonzo has spoken.

praise be.

Salem Allahkum

Comment

That is a scare tactic with no real significance.

As all (with few exceptions) male muslim children are named after the prophet it is a little disengenious to measure that name against any other single name.
                We can assume that all other names are non muslim so we should measure the Mohameds against ALL other names. Then we would see a relevance.

What is significant here is the "3.8" and "3 times the birth rate" figures which I believe give evidence supporting arguments in another thread .
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

In 2001, the average size of a Muslim household was 3.8 people while a third contained more than five people.
                  But what is this supposed to mean? Doesn't it just mean that Muslim families, by culture rather than religion, tend to keep several generations living together in one house whereas the rest of us leave home at 17 and never go back, and dump anyone old into a residential home/prison camp.

Also, what is the figure for non-Muslims? 3.8 doesn't sound that high really. There's six in my household and most people I know have 3 or 4 people in theirs.

Comment

Oh come on Max - I expected more from you
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X