• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate Ranges

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate Ranges

Why do they do this.

Applied for a role with a rate of £250 - £350 a day.

Agnect says "what rate are you looking for". Well £350 of course is what i say.

Why do this range thing? I know you are willing to pay upto £350 and if I get the job know I am the best candidate so why would I want £250.

Just seems daft to me. Now not that I do this to the client. They ask me to specify a rate so I give a range e.g. £300 - £400. If they come back at bang on £300 I push then to £350 for the cheek of it. If they had come in at £325 then I would have let it fly.

£325 a day - is that good for driving lorries?

Comment

There doesn't seem to be that much difference in rates between van & HGV driving- especially on an hourly rate.

I can't see how the costs involved in getting the class licence can be justified.
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Depends where you live.

Up north or down south HGV drivers will get probably only about £7-8 an hour. Pretty much the same as a an driver. Not sure why.

In the midlands, or better the "golden triangle" ... i.e. the M6, M1, M69 then you can get paid a lot more. Van drivers are still on the £7-8 but HGV drivers are on £15/hour for a day shift. Weekend/night can probably add another £5 to that. Great thing supply and demand (when you're in demand). We also seem have survived the polski revolution due to thier nature to crash a lot.

Not the most entralling wages in the world and certainloy not worth giving up looking for the next contract for but better than doing nowt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
          Why do they do this.

Applied for a role with a rate of £250 - £350 a day.

Agnect says "what rate are you looking for". Well £350 of course is what i say.

Why do this range thing? I know you are willing to pay upto £350 and if I get the job know I am the best candidate so why would I want £250.
          £350 will get the CVs in, £250 is what they want to pay you. Most likely £350 is for "exceptional candidates" which unsuprisingly according to the agency no-one is. Avoid agencies who use this tactic.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

it is fairly odd, but the principle is the same as when you pop down to Threshers wanting a bottle of wine in the £6-10 range. It falls down because the wine in Threshers won't change its price based on what your range is, but a lot of contractors will.
            The tacit assumption that the more expensive wine in Threshers is a bit better doesn't hold true with contractors either.

But I still find rate ranges more palateable than when the client just decides what they want to pay and tells you that's going to be your price.

Comment

Thay are often coblers anyway. I have applied for jobs with low ranges and then named my range to the agency, at that point they usually cut to the chase and we talk around the total cost and their margin. I haven't had a contract in 3 years that I haven't known the Agency % of and I don't work with greedy agencies

Comment

Working...
              X