• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor turned permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor turned permie

How many people here turned permie -

Just noticed my attitude changes when moving from contract to permie - thought the overall package for my permies is very close to my contract (i.e. basic + bonus = contractor pay) and this is not counting all the extra benefits e.g. training/paid holidays/sickies etc etc.. mind you the tax situation is not as great !!

Any ho, when I was a contractor I didn't give a flying monkey about what I was doing or who I was working with, as long as I got paid am as happy as can be.

Now as a permie, though from a money point of view am getting paid well and very close to my contractor income, things do bug me, i.e. I actually care about work, and (gasp) I actually care about the team, I want to have interesting tasks to do, I want to have a good team round me blah blah blah (needless to say at the moment am doing crap low level data mapping analysis, and team members are lazy political fawkers)

I tried talking myself into just treat this job as an ongoing contract - but arrrrrrgh the devil within needs feeding day dreaming of becoming to be a contractor again ...

What does this mean ?? any success stories out there of becoming a permie and having a contractor 'don't give a $hit mentality?

Nope...you're fecked!
    Property advisor for the people

Comment

You have to buy in when you become a permie... thats why you (I) do it..

I wouldn't have taken this permie role if I didn't think it was something i could really make a difference and get behind 100%..

I think you chose unwisely or just plain word ready for it yet!
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
        You have to buy in when you become a permie... thats why you (I) do it..

I wouldn't have taken this permie role if I didn't think it was something i could really make a difference and get behind 100%..

I think you chose unwisely or just plain word ready for it yet!

I actually worked for this company previously as a contractor, I really liked the culture and the people, great perks too,free gym , fantastic canteen, lots of flexi work, my prev PM is great, I really did want to work for them. However the project I worked on previously got relegated, and I took a new role on a different project and its totally different role and people around me are not as motivated as the previous team - its not all that bad, but I think its the devil within me drives me to the grass is greener mentality

However, I still have a very good relationship with my previous PM who was just given a really great new project, he really wants me to go and work with him again, however the politics of it all makes it almost impossible .... hence the grass is greener mentality

I don't believe I chose badly, I worked for many many orgs who I'd never think of joining as a permie ever, but this company is the first one that I thought it could work out, and I still believe it would, I just need to silence the devil within me, any ideas?
        Last edited by zamzummim; 30 May 2007, 13:31.

Comment

start bonin the recpetionist.... that'll take your mind off it!
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim
            How many people here turned permie -
            Wash your mouth out with soap and water - Turned Permie! Turned Permit - should be banned, such disgusting behaviour.

You have not turned permy, you are just in a long term contract with a tulipe rate!

Comment

yeh, as someone here previously said, Canary Wharf is like a babe feast. Its all so artificial though, I got to know a few ladies there, OMG you wont believe the amount of money they spend on themselves if it was the hair and designer clothes I'd understand, but they all seem to be obsessed with plastic suregeries, visiting far eastern spas (the ones that starve to lose weight, but provide you massages aned yoga all day long)

I am taking time to go to the gym as often as possible (during working hours) to take my mind off and really really feel the perks of being a pemie (i.e. try not to be so efficient ) I tried to book a personal trainer the other day, would you believe it, no one is free, they've all been booked up for the next few months (am talking about at least 10-15 trainers).

Comment

You've done well to get a permie package for the same as contractor rates. eg. my daily rate x about 225 is a lot more than I'd get as a permie.
                It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
                  You've done well to get a permie package for the same as contractor rates. eg. my daily rate x about 225 is a lot more than I'd get as a permie.

Right, also just thought the biggest perk, not having to deal with scum bags, AKA recruitment agents

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim
                    Right, also just thought the biggest perk, not having to deal with scum bags, AKA recruitment agents
                    No you just have to deal with w**kers (HR) instead

Comment

Working...
                    X