• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SQL Server DBA looking to start business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thirded,

it is easy to think that people like Logica and Accenture and recruitment agencies make winning business look easy.

It's easy for contractors especially to get confident and think they can build a consultancy, but finding business and winning business, keep business, setting up an office hiring consultants costs a huge amount of money and takes a huge amount of time, experience and effort and nothing is guaranteed, then there is keeping your team happy and motivated to work for you for a small enough amount that you can cover your investment, risks, costs and return a profit. Then there is the question of how late the customers pay you and keeping your cash flow.

And then at the end of that you might not be left with any more than a contractor !

My advice, the same as those above, is to become a contractor for a few years and see what you think. It may be that during a contract you have a good relationship with the customer and talk them into letting you supply them with people.

All the best,

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
      Thirded,

it is easy to think that people like Logica and Accenture and recruitment agencies make winning business look easy.

It's easy for contractors especially to get confident and think they can build a consultancy, but finding business and winning business, keep business, setting up an office hiring consultants costs a huge amount of money and takes a huge amount of time, experience and effort and nothing is guaranteed, then there is keeping your team happy and motivated to work for you for a small enough amount that you can cover your investment, risks, costs and return a profit. Then there is the question of how late the customers pay you and keeping your cash flow.

And then at the end of that you might not be left with any more than a contractor !

My advice, the same as those above, is to become a contractor for a few years and see what you think. It may be that during a contract you have a good relationship with the customer and talk them into letting you supply them with people.

All the best,

Milan.
      Good points. I am going to try starting small to avoid the big costs, and do most of the work myself initially.
      I'll go door to door (literally! - it recommended it in an IT careers book I read) in a number of business parks and try to get talking to IT managers and directors there to try to get some work.

Well it it works I'll be a millionaire. Has to be worth a punt does it not? I do have some savings besides the £20K.
      Thanks!

Comment

in that case Phil, can I call you Phil ?

if you have such little respect for the 20k why not just give it to a worthy cause and then go an get a contract off jobserve ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip
          Good points. I am going to try starting small to avoid the big costs, and do most of the work myself initially.
          I'll go door to door (literally! - it recommended it in an IT careers book I read) in a number of business parks and try to get talking to IT managers and directors there to try to get some work.

Well it it works I'll be a millionaire. Has to be worth a punt does it not? I do have some savings besides the £20K.
          Thanks!
          Well, good on you for taking a punt then. It takes a bit more than knocking on doors though:

Who is going to draw up your contracts?
          What will you do about late payment, when your contractors are waiting for their pay?
          What happens when a client says "We ain't paying"
          How do you get onto preferred client lists without a track record?
          How do you put all the ISO bits and pieces into place?
          How do you separate blaggers from good contractors?
          What happens when one of your contractors fecks up?
          What happens when one of your contractors disappears?
          What happens when one of your contractors decides to go direct?

Good luck anyway!

Comment

Q: Who is going to draw up your contracts?
            A: I am initially. I'll probably buy a cheap one off the internet or use one I've had before. Once I get going, I'll get a lawyer to do one.
            Q: What will you do about late payment, when your contractors are waiting for their pay?
            A: Bank loan if necessary.
            Q: What happens when a client says "We ain't paying"
            A: Find out why first and correct the problem. These types of problems can be resolved by managing expectations correctly at the outset. But if all else fails, Sell the debt to a factoring company. Or small claims court.
            Q: How do you get onto preferred client lists without a track record?
            A:Not initially, but once they see that I provide good service they'll add me there.
            Q: How do you put all the ISO bits and pieces into place?
            A: Don't know. But for small contracts I woudn't have thought they'd be too interested in ISO etc.
            Q: How do you separate blaggers from good contractors?
            A: Ask them some SQL questions
            Q: What happens when one of your contractors fecks up?
            A: I'll be there to back them up initially. Also I'll get professional indemnity insurance in case they dig a really deep hole.
            Q: What happens when one of your contractors disappears?
            A: I'll step into his shoes.
            Q: What happens when one of your contractors decides to go direct?
            A: Good luck to them - that means the client must be good and growing. I'll be happy to supply them with all the additional staff they need.

Yes you may call me Phil. I've been called worse :-)

Comment

well fair doos Phil,

you have an answer for all of the questions

best of luck

let us know how you get on

Milan.

Comment

good luck mate, you've got to start somewhere, it is similar to what I've done with my IT company, which my ex now runs, we built up slowly.....
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                  well fair doos Phil,

you have an answer for all of the questions

best of luck

let us know how you get on

Milan.
                  Thanks for the feedback people.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Phil

(except my name isn't Phil. I feel really guilty about having to be anonomous on the internet. You might be my (soon to be ex) boss. Eeek)

OK I better make another confession - I'm not from Kent. I'm so bad aren't I.
                  But it is a fine county.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip
                    Thanks for the feedback people.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Phil

(except my name isn't Phil. I feel really guilty about having to be anonomous on the internet. You might be my (soon to be ex) boss. Eeek)

OK I better make another confession - I'm not from Kent. I'm so bad aren't I.
                    But it is a fine county.
                    Clark? Is that you?

Comment

phil,

I'll think you'll fit in well here great wind up

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X