• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

From umbrella to own ltd. quick advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From umbrella to own ltd. quick advice

I just started my first contract 2 weeks ago and I'm working with an umbrella company.

I've left 5.5 months in my contract and then I'm going back to permie (not in the UK) so I want to maximise my earnings during that time therefore want to form my own ltd.

My question is, would it be wise to just go ltd and handle tax outside IR35 without checking where my contract stands with regards to IR35? This is considering it's going to be my first and only contract and I will be out if the country for a few years after that if not for good.

How risky is this really if at all?

For 5.5 months I'd say its not really worth it from an effort point of view.

Depends on what your daily rate is but unless its high you are going to lose a lot in fees for such a short time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
      For 5.5 months I'd say its not really worth it from an effort point of view.

Depends on what your daily rate is but unless its high you are going to lose a lot in fees for such a short time.
      My rate is 400 p/d. As I understand it, it's not much of an effort to form your own ltd. Am I missing something here?

Comment

In that case it may be worth it. I wouldn't bother with VAT reg though as this will probably come through just about when you are winding the company down.

Speak to an accountant but not sure how a coy like this could be viewed. If you are setting it up with the express interest in crashing it then it probably will be seen as a vessel in which to avoid tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
          In that case it may be worth it. I wouldn't bother with VAT reg though as this will probably come through just about when you are winding the company down.

Speak to an accountant but not sure how a coy like this could be viewed. If you are setting it up with the express interest in crashing it then it probably will be seen as a vessel in which to avoid tax.
          But it costs nothing to register for VAT and the chances are it and the Flat Rate Scheme will be through before 5 1/2 months. You can invoice 'pending VAT registration' and then invoice for backdated invoice when the registration is through and pocket an extra approx. 3% (before CT). Well worth it. Do not think you can do a runner from the VAT man abroad, pocketing the full amount. They will hunt you down like a dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
            Do not think you can do a runner from the VAT man abroad, pocketing the full amount. They will hunt you down like a dog.
            yeah just like they are hunting criminal gangs pocketing billions of pounds doing vat carousal frauds for many years now

Comment

not to mention at £400 a day you would be on target to pass threashold so would have to register anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                not to mention at £400 a day you would be on target to pass threashold so would have to register anyway.
                Not in 5.5 months (s)he's not.

Comment

So if I understand correctly where the wind is blowing with most of you. The advice is:
                  - Go ltd for 5.5 months
                  - Register with VAT

Sounds good to me

Comment

Working...
                  X