• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 80's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wendigo100
    Should that read Liverpool fans disgracing themselves in Europe?

Also, England win the Ashes
    If I remember the 90s well, wasn't that the time Thatcher left in 1990, the Major government then eventually collapsed under sleaze and gave way to a NL landslide. The housing market bubble burst. Black wednesday saw interest rates saw to 15%. Sterling got routed on the money markets, etc, etc.

not inconceivable, similar things like this will happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
      If I remember the 90s well, wasn't that the time Thatcher left in 1990, the Major government then eventually collapsed under sleaze and gave way to a NL landslide. The housing market bubble burst. Black wednesday saw interest rates saw to 15%. Sterling got routed on the money markets, etc, etc.

An after thought. I viewed a three bedroomed semi detached house in 1994 on the market for £43k (yes, those were the days) It was £1k above the mortgage I wanted to take out and I asked the seller if they would consider dropping to £42k. That's when the seller told me he had £11k negative equity on the house and coudln't go any lower.

So a quick math will tell you the mortgage for him was £54k and he'd lost £11k or 20.4% of the house value. Some people today could still get seriously burned.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae

Then, it was sudden tax reductions in the late eighties which fueled the house boom. This time it is the relaxing of lending controls.

But it was the Tory attempts to get into the Euro which fecked the pound and tipped us into recession. There has been no such trigger under Labour so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
          I'm beginning to wonder whether we are back in the 80's again
          Check out the Alex cartoon in the telegraph. He has gone back in time in a dream to see Gordon Gekko in Wall St.
          Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Working...
          X