• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Porsche 911

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't drive that fast any more, why spend all that money on a 911?

Get an Impreza turbo, similar-ish performance, loads of room for the kids, and enjoy the feeling that you're not going to throw it up the road at the slightest sign of rain + corner combo, unlike that Porsche or fatboy Merc.

You'll save yourself a stack of cash, and be able to spend the extra cash on hookers and blow for those "lonely" times.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut
      If you don't drive that fast any more, why spend all that money on a 911?

Get an Impreza turbo, similar-ish performance, loads of room for the kids, and enjoy the feeling that you're not going to throw it up the road at the slightest sign of rain + corner combo, unlike that Porsche or fatboy Merc.

You'll save yourself a stack of cash, and be able to spend the extra cash on hookers and blow for those "lonely" times.

HTH

Impreza's are incredible cars but I'll leave them to the boy racers with neon lights...

I've always wanted a 911 so this is about realising a childhood dream...I'm sure if I get one I will get fed up with the lack of practicality whenever I need to go to the tip or something, but I feel a need for the tick in the box!

And I won't need extra cash for hookers...the 911 will get me slappers for free
      Property advisor for the people

Comment

Originally posted by Vito
        Impreza's are incredible cars but I'll leave them to the boy racers with neon lights...

I've always wanted a 911 so this is about realising a childhood dream...I'm sure if I get one I will get fed up with the lack of practicality whenever I need to go to the tip or something, but I feel a need for the tick in the box!

And I won't need extra cash for hookers...the 911 will get me slappers for free
        The gold wheels, neon, and whale tail spoilers aren't mandatory. There are plenty of understated variants. It's an amazing buy for the money. I've had a couple and they're better than the distinctly average M3 I test drove once.

Pass your bike test. Trounce the performance of the 911 for a few grand, and it's far more exhilarating as you're closer to the action. Just don't come off it and its all fine. Get a Renaut Williams Espace for the kids. Saw one going around Silverstone once - a people carrier for a more adrenaline-fuelled school run.

I'd like a 911, who wouldn't? But it's a lot of money tied up in a car, and I've felt that sick feeling before when I blew a lot of money on a car once. Once you're stuck in the same traffic jam as the guy in the 500 quid Vectra next to you it's all a bit academic, isn't it? At least with the bike, traffic jams are something you raise a wry smile at...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
          Lexus or Jag. Most of the rest are chavmobiles.
          Didn't Gareth Cheesman drive a Lexus? Shirley Lexus and Jags are just chavmobiles for older gents?
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut
            The gold wheels, neon, and whale tail spoilers aren't mandatory. There are plenty of understated variants. It's an amazing buy for the money. I've had a couple and they're better than the distinctly average M3 I test drove once.

Pass your bike test. Trounce the performance of the 911 for a few grand, and it's far more exhilarating as you're closer to the action. Just don't come off it and its all fine. Get a Renaut Williams Espace for the kids. Saw one going around Silverstone once - a people carrier for a more adrenaline-fuelled school run.

I'd like a 911, who wouldn't? But it's a lot of money tied up in a car, and I've felt that sick feeling before when I blew a lot of money on a car once. Once you're stuck in the same traffic jam as the guy in the 500 quid Vectra next to you it's all a bit academic, isn't it? At least with the bike, traffic jams are something you raise a wry smile at...

Agree with all that you say...but there are some things you just need to get out of your system!! Not to mention the fact that my sister has got a Boxster and never lets me forget it...I try telling her that its not a real Porsche and that its 6 years old, but she still claims bragging rights over my Merc (which was far more expensive!)...i know its childish but what the hell, I need to get one over on my sister!

However, if the kids can't get in the back then i will have to find an alternative...

Comment

You have two kids and you want buy a porsche. You'll probably end up using it once every few weeks. A mate of mine bought a porsche boxster (new) but wouldn't drive it to certain areas or leave it in a public car park. What's the point.
              At one stage it was in the garage for 6 weeks as he would drive his golf everywhere. It got to the point that he would come home from work and then go for a 15-30 minute drive for no reason. And he doesn't have kids.
              Get yourself an A4 or a Saab Aero saloon.
              Cars = depreciating asset = what's the point.
              It's cheaper too just set aside 1 day every month and rent out the damn thing.
              First search found this Co does it for £270 http://www.expressrent.co.uk/rentcar.php.
              Sure you can find cheaper.
              so around £3K p/a which is cheaper then the depreciation alone.

Comment

I'm sure you can get the kids in, I saw a bloke with kids that age stuffing in the back the other day. Why don't you go down to the stealers and have a try?

BTW the Porsche Gayman is supposed to be a better all round package, mind youy it probably doesnt have back seats
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Vito
                  Agree with all that you say...but there are some things you just need to get out of your system!! Not to mention the fact that my sister has got a Boxster and never lets me forget it...I try telling her that its not a real Porsche and that its 6 years old, but she still claims bragging rights over my Merc (which was far more expensive!)...i know its childish but what the hell, I need to get one over on my sister!

However, if the kids can't get in the back then i will have to find an alternative...
                  Ahh, sibling rivalry. That's different altogether.

911 it is then, with a detachable tow bar for a box trailer with the kids in.

Solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                    I'm sure you can get the kids in, I saw a bloke with kids that age stuffing in the back the other day. Why don't you go down to the stealers and have a try?

BTW the Porsche Gayman is supposed to be a better all round package, mind youy it probably doesnt have back seats

I think the Porsche Gayman is a fantastic looking car but only two seats unfortunatly...and this will be my only car.

I have to avoid the dealers...I end up buying on impulse every time...I had my last car for 4 months, took it into the Merc garage for a service and walked out an hour later having bought a new one!! I can't help myself and I'm a couple of months away from looking to buy so I need to avoid dealerships at all cost!

I'm expecting to be able to squeeze the kids in as they are pretty small, but just wanted to know if anyone else has done it on a regular basis...I had a DB9 when I was working overseas last year and although it had back seats, you couldn't get anyone in them, they were completely pointless.

As for Rightstuff saying there is no point...I'm sure any logical person would say that...but hey, you only live once and having got married too young and struggled financially in loads of debt up until about 3 years ago, I figure I need to be a little wasteful to make up for lost opportunities when I was younger...and hey, you only live once.

Comment

'I figure I need to be a little wasteful to make up for lost opportunities when I was younger...and hey, you only live once.'

sounds from your other posts you've when wasteful already. Do you drive to work? As I commute by train I find I only really drive at the weekends.

Comment

Working...
                      X