• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving up smoking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    "IMHO the best way to give up is not cold turkey"

Worked for me - the benefits of cold turkey are that it cuts the addiction. I tried reducing the number, but when you go from say 20 a day and get to say 5, those 5 are really hard to give up because you tend to look forward to them more. I figured that stopping dead and not buying any was the best option. Pubs are hard though as beer and cigs go well together and they sell both in one place.
    I thought you used patches?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
      "IMHO the best way to give up is not cold turkey"

Worked for me - the benefits of cold turkey are that it cuts the addiction. I tried reducing the number, but when you go from say 20 a day and get to say 5, those 5 are really hard to give up because you tend to look forward to them more. I figured that stopping dead and not buying any was the best option. Pubs are hard though as beer and cigs go well together and they sell both in one place.
      Yeah every time I've ever started up again it's been in the pub. Will power seems to vanish when you're p*ssed.

I'll just see how it goes.

Cheers x
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

It's banned up here to smoke in pubs and the weather is tulipe, so you dont have that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
          I thought you used patches?
          He said his wife used patches, he went cold turkey.

I was told by someone who studied the subject that absolutely the worst way to give up is gradual reduction, because you are always watching the time in anticipation of your next fag.

Using nicorettes is probably best, gum or whatever, because you still get the nicotine but without the tulipe that causes all the diseases.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100

I was told by someone who studied the subject that absolutely the worst way to give up is gradual reduction, because you are always watching the time in anticipation of your next fag.

Using nicorettes is probably best, gum or whatever, because you still get the nicotine but without the tulipe that causes all the diseases.
            Using nicorettes is gradual reduction. The most effective way to give up any drug is tapering of dose, be it antidepressants, heroin, nicoteen. Of course everyone has an opinion, Alan Carr says cold turkey (which is least effective but some can do it), the medical profession will get you on patches or gum (which is dose-reduction), some say hypnosis.

But the most important thing is wanting to give up.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

"Using nicorettes is gradual reduction"

It is a reduction in the nicotine, but you stop smoking there and then. It is the not picking up the cig bit - as I said when I did it cold turkey, you get trigger points and it's about breaking the habit. For me, my hand would literally itch. If you use a patch you break the picking up the cig bit while your body gets a reduced hit of nicotine. As I said earlier, as you reduce the number of cigs, each reduction becomes harder to do and eventually you get to the point when you look forward to your fix.

It's best to simply stop buying them - if that means a patch then so be it - or never start!
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Has sally gone out for a fag :-)

Comment

I gave up 22nd DEcember 1989. And still occasionally miss them.

Took about 10 attempts to give up. Thought I could just have 1 cigarette. Theres no such thing as 1 cigarette.

I do wish SA all the very very best though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                    Has sally gone out for a fag :-)
                    American or British?

Comment

I pretty much need to smoke after about 6 pints, but only have one or two and thats only once a week or so, and I never buy them

Dunno how much the smoking ban will help out - maybe if places don't smell smoky you'll be less tempted to have one

Comment

Working...
                      X