• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Giving up smoking

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Giving up smoking"

Collapse

• cykophysh39
    replied
    Originally posted by freakydancer
    Nope - he's still got his marbles.

And he's grown out of being obsessed with football unlike SB. A grown man who still wears football tops is a tragic sight indeed.
    Normally seen with a copy of the sun on the dashboard of his white van!!

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Your dad can't have been quite as thick as SB, though? That would be stretching the bounds of possibility, surely.
    Nope - he's still got his marbles.

And he's grown out of being obsessed with football unlike SB. A grown man who still wears football tops is a tragic sight indeed.

Leave a comment:

• cykophysh39
    replied
    Yeah I only get pissed twenty times a day now!!

Leave a comment:

• Barriebazg
    replied
    Originally posted by cykophysh39
    I usually wake up the morning after feeling tulip, and it reaffrimsjust why I gave up in the first place!!
    Until you get pissed up again!!

Leave a comment:

• cykophysh39
    replied
    I gave up cold turkey!!
    Easiest thing I ever did!!

The only time I crave a fag now is when I'm pissed!!
    And sometimes I have one!!
    I usually wake up the morning after feeling tulip, and it reaffrimsjust why I gave up in the first place!!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    He's old, and so are you. That's about it really.
    Your dad can't have been quite as thick as SB, though? That would be stretching the bounds of possibility, surely.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy
    You seem very hung up about your dad fd. Is there anything you'd like to share with us?
    He's old, and so are you. That's about it really.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by churkus
    this business of tapering down how much you smoke isnt very effective. youll reach a point where youre down to 1 a day and you HAVE to have that 1 a day to get by.

Cold turkey is the best way, its how I quit and the withdrawal symptoms only last 3 days. Nowadays I enjoy a good smoke of the herbs now and again, much more healthy!.
    If you can get by with smoking one a day, the statistical risks of any ill health become vanishingly small.

Leave a comment:

• churkus
    replied
    this business of tapering down how much you smoke isnt very effective. youll reach a point where youre down to 1 a day and you HAVE to have that 1 a day to get by.

Cold turkey is the best way, its how I quit and the withdrawal symptoms only last 3 days. Nowadays I enjoy a good smoke of the herbs now and again, much more healthy!.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    As an impartial reader of this site - I for one am sick and tired of all these scare stories surrounding the pleasures of smoking - when you consider the reveune the Government accrues from smoking not to mention the early demise of smokers preserves more pension funds I would say to anyone considering stoping - for the sake of the Nation - to think again.

Lord Pruffock Imperial Tobacco Products (c) Registered in British Virgin Islands

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I've gotta stop this - given your age, it feels like I'm having a petty squabble with my Dad.
    You seem very hung up about your dad fd. Is there anything you'd like to share with us?

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    I gave up for the second time last year (1 July). I was a very heavy smoker and it was a routine check at the doctors which prompted me - my blood pressure which has always been completely normal-to-laid-back was through the roof. Things that helped me:

Patches - don't do the highest dose one because they are the 24/7 type, and tend to make you have disturbed dreams almost every night, which means you feel crap in the mornings. Better to keep them at the side of the bed and put one on as soon as you wake up which means you start the day off on a high

Inhaler - the Nicorette Inhaler: looks like the cigarette holder that Bet Lynch used to use, but it's great for (a) those moments when you feel you really can't cope without a fix, and (b) something to do with your hands. I was addicted to the inhaler for a while, even after I didnt put the nicotine cartridges inside (I was like a five-year-old who still had a dependence on a dummy) but one day I lost it. I might have looked silly for a while but it was better for me than ciggies, so who cares

Counsellor - first time I gave up (lasted 18 months) I had a GP in a different area who made me an appointment for 1-2-1 counselling, and I was lucky to get a good one. It was more about addiction counselling than smoking (the girl I saw had had and beaten a food addiction). This GP couldn't offer this so I used the NHS Stop Smoking thing; it wasn't half as good but they do send you loads of motivational material through the mail and email.

The first days are the hardest, just hold in there. Every time you want a cigarette, just say this to yourself, "I won't have this one, I'll have it next time I feel the pang". It gets you through that 100 second hell.

Good luck SA You can do it

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Let's not confine it to age and girth. It transcends all physical shortcomings in its capacity for amusement. Ronaldinho would look comical in it, although it might at least serve to divert the gaze from his teeth!
    I've gotta stop this - given your age, it feels like I'm having a petty squabble with my Dad.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    True. A man of your age and girth would look daft in that.
    Let's not confine it to age and girth. It transcends all physical shortcomings in its capacity for amusement. Ronaldinho would look comical in it, although it might at least serve to divert the gaze from his teeth!

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    No. If I wanted to look stupid I'd simply put a Spurs top on!
    True. A man of your age and girth would look daft in that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X