• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to handle these agents?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to handle these agents?

An agent calls me today and asks me, am I looking for work?.
    I say no but i might look around end of this month..then he goes 'oh whom do u contract for now'..i say the location but not the client name(i had a suspicion that he is rooting for a replacement when i leave the current gig)...then he goes 'oh in that case the conversation ends here i guess.. ' to which i said 'yea cool...cheers Bye' and we both hang up!!

By the way I am a newbie to contracting...is it Ok to spill out the current client name when an agent asks for it?

Originally posted by aj1977
    I say no but i might look around end of this month..then he goes 'oh whom do u contract for now'..i say the location but not the client name(i had a suspicion that he is rooting for a replacement when i leave the current gig)...then he goes 'oh in that case the conversation ends here i guess.. ' to which i said 'yea cool...cheers Bye' and we both hang up!!

By the way I am a newbie to contracting...is it Ok to spill out the current client name when an agent asks for it?
    Yes, and include a few names too, especially project managers.

Comment

Simply tell the agent that your contract is an exclusive placement and you're not at liberty to disclose the agency the client or the location. If they persist, phrases like "feck off!!" usually helps. You're right, they are fishing, don't make it easy for them.

Comment

aj,
        If that was your first call like that, you handled it very well.

the message you should be giving off is "look I know you're looking for sales leads; and I know it's your job to look for sales leads; and that's ok; but it's also mine not to give them out" - and then affably move the conversation on. But not in so many words, or they'll get annoyed and you'll seem like a smug git.

The exception is if you've been contracting with a mega-blue chip with a cast-iron preferred recruiter list. Here you've not much to lose. You might impress them with your pedigree; but even if you gave Tinpot Resourcing (Crawley) Ltd your client's name and phone number they still wouldn't be able to get any work out of them.

Comment

What is the problem with giving agencies the details of your current client, to allow them to contact your current client? Is it that the current client might place someone at your company in place of you, so you potentially lose a contract extension?

Thanks

Comment

Yes. That and your client rep will be inundated with sales calls which he/she may not appreciate, especially if your name is mentioned as a referrer.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip
              What is the problem with giving agencies the details of your current client, to allow them to contact your current client? Is it that the current client might place someone at your company in place of you, so you potentially lose a contract extension?
              Thanks

There's nothing wrong with it. As long as you get a percentage of their commision for having identified a potenetial role. Next time they call ask for 15%.

Comment

if they are really after you for your skills then where you work is irrelevant as presumably it will be on the CV.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Thanks
                  have you been drinking at lunchtime?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Thanks
                    That's one reason, yes. Dodgy agents have been known to contact your client, spread a bit of dirt about you, then suggest a fantastic replacement from their books.

Comment

Working...
                    X