• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quiet Questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SallyAnne
    I just wrote out a whole reply to that, but I deleted it.

Lets talk more about this once the bairn is found safe.
    Good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
      I personally would never leave my daughter for more than 5 mins, even then I would be panicking.
      even on a holiday compound? checking every 30 minutes? what would you do? sit in the room with it whilst everyone was down at the restaurant.?

these places are not like skiing chalets that do their own catering and you spend the evenings in. These places deliberatly cater for kids in the day and it is not unreasonable to assume that it is safe to leave your kids asleep whilst you are in the restaurant getting tanked.

It is sheer bad luck and whilst like you many parents will not let their kids out of their sight at all, there is nothing unusual or unreasonable about the actions of these people.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
        even on a holiday compound? checking every 30 minutes? what would you do? sit in the room with it whilst everyone was down at the restaurant.?

these places are not like skiing chalets that do their own catering and you spend the evenings in. These places deliberatly cater for kids in the day and it is not unreasonable to assume that it is safe to leave your kids asleep whilst you are in the restaurant getting tanked.

It is sheer bad luck and whilst like you many parents will not let their kids out of their sight at all, there is nothing unusual or unreasonable about the actions of these people.
        I would either take my daughter with me or have arranged a baby sittter, or stayed at home, in fact I go on holiday in June and we are taking mother-in-law to help out if we fancy a night out. If you have kids you have to make sacrifices im afraid. It's simple as this, if they had stayed at home they would still have their daughter, harsh but true.

Comment

Yup I agree. There seem to be a lot of people that jump on the band wagon when incidents like this happen. Kids are abducted from parks, shopping centres even from their own beds with their parents sleeping next door. You cannot keep an eye on your kids 100% of the time, what happens when they get older nad want to play outside or in the park, walking home from school etc.

Comment

Not sure I understand the fuss.

The complex offered a baby sitting service which meant that one of the staff checked the kids in the rooms once per hour.
            This couple decided they could do a better job themselves by checking back every half hour or more often.

Would the panel be more up in arms had they been using the resorts own baby sitting service?
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I would either take my daughter with me or have arranged a baby sittter, or stayed at home, in fact I go on holiday in June and we are taking mother-in-law to help out if we fancy a night out. If you have kids you have to make sacrifices im afraid. It's simple as this, if they had stayed at home they would still have their daughter, harsh but true.
              It's just not realistic mate. All you are doing is ensuring they are safe whilst they are toddlers. As soon as they get to school age and have a modicum of independance then there is little you can to do to protect them from would be abductors. Millie Dowler was taken in broad daylight, 4pm outside a busy train station and she was 15.

Comment

what you do is your own affair and it is certainly not wrong. What annoys me are these precious parents who come out and start to become judgemental. Whilst I can see where you are coming from I would argue that their behaviour was entirely reasonable.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

what you do is your own affair and it is certainly not wrong. What annoys me are these precious parents who come out and start to become judgemental. Whilst I can see where you are coming from I would argue that their behaviour was entirely reasonable.

I am a parent of two young children and I would never leave them alone in this way because they are defensless against things like fire...that doesn't make me precious it just makes me cautious. I agree with a previous poster that going on holiday can therefore be impractical, so when they were too small to take out with me I didn't go on holiday...but thats my personal choice.

However...there are probably a whole load of other things that I do that others wouldn't that could bite me so I am in no position to judge - for instance, I let my son sit in the front seat which whilst legal I believe to be very slightly less safe than the back seat for minors...the chances of me being in an accident where my son was worse off in the front than in the back are very slim, but it could happen and at that point I could be open to being judged...I suspect it is the same with every parent, we just have different areas where we take a risk.

Another example, for those that want to judge this couple, is the car you drive...how many of you know what crash safety rating your car has and was this the number one factor when choosing it? If it wasn't then it could be argued that you are putting your childs safety at risk.

Lets not judge this couple and just hope that the little girl is safe and well, thank our lucky stars that it hasn't happened to us and go home and give our little ones a big hug...
                  Property advisor for the people

Comment

Originally posted by Vito
                    I am a parent of two young children and I would never leave them alone in this way because they are defensless against things like fire...that doesn't make me precious it just makes me cautious. I agree with a previous poster that going on holiday can therefore be impractical, so when they were too small to take out with me I didn't go on holiday...but thats my personal choice.

However...there are probably a whole load of other things that I do that others wouldn't that could bite me so I am in no position to judge - for instance, I let my son sit in the front seat which whilst legal I believe to be very slightly less safe than the back seat for minors...the chances of me being in an accident where my son was worse off in the front than in the back are very slim, but it could happen and at that point I could be open to being judged...I suspect it is the same with every parent, we just have different areas where we take a risk.

Another example, for those that want to judge this couple, is the car you drive...how many of you know what crash safety rating your car has and was this the number one factor when choosing it? If it wasn't then it could be argued that you are putting your childs safety at risk.

Lets not judge this couple and just hope that the little girl is safe and well, thank our lucky stars that it hasn't happened to us and go home and give our little ones a big hug...
                    well said

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
                      Yup I agree. There seem to be a lot of people that jump on the band wagon when incidents like this happen. Kids are abducted from parks, shopping centres even from their own beds with their parents sleeping next door. You cannot keep an eye on your kids 100% of the time, what happens when they get older nad want to play outside or in the park, walking home from school etc.
                      You are right in saying you can't keep you eye on the kids all the time, but my view was it was a "family" holiday - why not spend it all together, and when the kids get tired and grumpy it is time for everyone to go to the apartment.
                      If you want a night out, then do it in the but once you have arranged for the safe care of your children.

Comment

Working...
                      X