• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear - Tax Credits waste another £1.4bn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear - Tax Credits waste another £1.4bn

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6634843.stm

Another £1.4bn is likely to be written off in overpaid tax credits, according to a report from a committee of MPs.
    The Public Accounts Committee said this would bring losses from overpayments to £1.9bn. A revamp to the system meant it would pay £500m more a year, it added.

The new tax credit system started in 2003, but it has been plagued by complexity, overpayments and fraud.

What was the name of the Paymaster General again?

Like I say: if they didn't take the money from these hard working families in the first place then they wouldn't have to give it back to them as tax credits. It ain't rocket science to see that.

Also, when this thing was first mooted we all discussed how it was going to be scammed big stylee. It was designed to be defrauded, they even went so far as to actively ignore the minimum security measures, and now they make a big song and dance about it, why the surprise?

Actually I am of the opinion that this tax credits thing was always meant as a way to transfer large amounts of government money to some dodgy outfits: i.e. criminals who are party donors, terrorists, that kind of thing. Suits the New Labour way of doing things.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I tell you what, someone start a thread about a government initiative that has worked well.

(... tumbleweed ...)

Comment

Tax credits are part of my Plan B, please leave them alone.

Comment

So why do people keep telling me to vote if this is what it brings? Another supporting arm to help keep bureaucracy in power, ach. Bring back the Victorians…
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
            I particularly liked that bit of the post.

Comment

Working...
            X