• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kensington & Chelsea Council stole my car!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kensington & Chelsea Council stole my car!

The other day I found my car had been clamped, on account of the tax disk being somewhat out of date. Stuck to the windscreen was the usual plastic envelope containing one small scrap of paper. This was a warning notice indicating no fine but also no details as to who I should contact to have the clamp removed once I had updated the tax disk.

Fair enough, I thought, obviously the idea is that I buy and afix a new tax disk and leave it for a day or two for the clampers to return and unclamp the car on seeing the tax disk was OK. (I have a valid resident's parking permit, and the car was on a kosher resident's parking space.)

But imagine my surprise (well no, to be honest I wasn't the least surprised actually) to find this morning that the car had gone, and is no doubt now in the car pound! So at 9 am sharp I am phoning my solicitor to enquire whether I can institute criminal proceedings against the council for a TWOC ("taking without consent") offence. Why not? Anyway, I'll keep people posted - this should be quite funny.

(They're bang to rights - I had a valid parking permit, and a valid tax disk, both clearly visible, at the time the car was towed FFS! )

P.S. Talk of the devil - In the Torygraph only this morning Parking wardens told to book 100 cars an hour
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot
    Parking wardens told to book 100 cars an hour
    That works out at 36 seconds per car! Can wardens write tickets and find the next car in that time? I'd love to see what bonus scheme they're on for that kind of target.

Comment

Of course wardens can write tickets that fast!

Then again, it does become an issue if they can only write tickets for cars that are actually breaking parking restrictions!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
        This was a warning notice indicating no fine but also no details as to who I should contact to have the clamp removed once I had updated the tax disk.
        Did you not think to phone them and tell them you had a new tax disc?

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
          Did you not think to phone them and tell them you had a new tax disc?
          He already said there were no contact details.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Conversely if you leave live in a no-go-area like Brixton, you won’t get parking tickets or any problems if your car is untaxed.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              He already said there were no contact details.
              Ah I missed out the "no" part and read that as there were details...

Comment

Once the clamp goes on you have to wait until the car is removed to the pound It sounds like they got you bang to rights...!

Next time spend a few minutes online to renew your tax disk when the DVLA send you the reminder
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Tax evasion is a serious crime, I reckon 6 months inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
                    Tax evasion is a serious crime, I reckon 6 months inside.
                    And his car crushed, along with the new tax disk being shredded.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X