• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Extension ..Should I take??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi
    All my contracts have required gov security clearance and it has served me well, I don’t reckon I'd stand a chance in the commercial world these days with so much competition about.

It depends if you are genuinely highly skilled and fancy your chances or like me ‘joe average’ landing higher than expected rates thanks to SC clearance, I'm happy to carry on only taking SC work for as long as possible!

Good point GJ. The majority of my experience is in Public sector and there is no way I would ever get (or want) a job in Investment Banking etc.

I will try to get a new gig which keeps my security clearance.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
      All my contracts have required gov security clearance and it has served me well, I don’t reckon I'd stand a chance in the commercial world these days with so much competition about.

It depends if you are genuinely highly skilled and fancy your chances or like me ‘joe average’ landing higher than expected rates thanks to SC clearance, I'm happy to carry on only taking SC work for as long as possible!
      GJ - What field are you in and what kind of rate are you pulling in?
      How much of a difference to your rate is the SC making?

Comment

Originally posted by oloks
        ...extend till Nov 2007, on the same rate but on a 4day a week basis.
        Sounds brilliant to me - means every other weekend is 4 days long!

Comment

How hard is it to get SC ?
          Are there companies willing to sponsor one for it ?

Comment

Originally posted by andy
            Oh FFS!

Comment

SC clearance is not hard to get, but it depends a lot on your circumstances...

You can only be sponsored if a role you are going for requires SC or DV clearance (it does cost a bit), but they will just not sponsor you for the sake of it. It will have to be tied to a specific project initially.
              Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life

Comment

Originally posted by oloks
                Have been with this client since Dec 2006(450 p/day). Just had a chat this morning, they are willing to extend till Nov 2007, on the same rate but on a 4day a week basis. I do like the client and I am enjoying am the project.

Should I go for this extension or turn it down...?
                Or do I take the extension and negotiate for an increase...?

It is rather quiet in my field at the moment though.

The first question is, can you get more than 1800 a week elsewhere?

Comment

You do see JS ads saying must have SC or be prepared to go for it, but despite saying this they rarely take you on without s/c while u get it. It took my mate 17 weeks to get his for the MOD. But then it varies on what you've been up the last 5 years or so. If you've been 'holidaying' in Islamabad then it may take longer comapred to someone who has never left sunny Swindon. You can pay for it yourself, £500+ I think. But check for yourself, there are different levels too.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                    The first question is, can you get more than 1800 a week elsewhere?
                    Yes, if a role turns up, but it is quiet at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
                      You can pay for it yourself, £500+ I think. But check for yourself, there are different levels too.
                      Don't think you can pay for it yourself. In my own case there has to be a case why you are applying to be SC cleared. I may be wrong, but it is usually tied to a project requirement.

Comment

Working...
                      X