• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blood pressure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll
    How do you get work?
    By still having high blood pressure!

Originally posted by Paddy
    It is now fine and I passed the medical for commercial pilots standard.
    Hmmm, I forgot about that. My blood pressure was elevated recently (my last Class II medical was fine) but I cycle alot more, make and cook all my own food (control salt) , drink red wine (although rare I get it down to 1 glass a day) rather than beer, drink green tea rather than coffee.

Originally posted by Paddy
    I would strongly suggest getting your own monitor, preferably upper arm. You can get a perfectly good one from Lloyds for £9,99. (My doctor used to get different readings than me when he done it manually, but now he has gone digital he gets the same readings)

Lying down at home and relaxing will reduce blood pressure.
    Yes, I got one of those machines, I've noticed blood pressure changes during the day as well. Mine's around 130/90 on average but sometimes is less than that. Having multiple clients all demanding on the same day increases BP dramatically.

Siemens, Staines...
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Falling asleep in the afternoon between 1pm & 5pm is an excelllent way of relaxing and lowering blood pressure.

Humour is indeed the key to a long and healthy stress free life, as is getting your timesheet signed, which I put in the same satisfaction bracket as having an orgasm, scoring a goal / hole in one and getting a free garlic bread that you wern't expecting from Domino's.

Comment

Just say "**** it, gonna die anyway someday". Apathy is great at lowering BP!

Works for me. I'd rather die young(ish) than be stuck in a care home relying on someone else to wipe my arse for me. There's no dignity in death by old age. Hopefully euthanasia will be legal by then so I can opt out when my body starts calling last orders. That or we'll be able to get robocop style bodies when we reach 80. Must check if that's a provision of my pension.
        "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
          Just say "**** it, gonna die anyway someday". Apathy is great at lowering BP!

Works for me. I'd rather die young(ish) than be stuck in a care home relying on someone else to wipe my arse for me. There's no dignity in death by old age. Hopefully euthanasia will be legal by then so I can opt out when my body starts calling last orders. That or we'll be able to get robocop style bodies when we reach 80. Must check if that's a provision of my pension.
          who was it it said 'Whats so bloomin good about living to a ripe old age eh? you get get one youth, just like everyone else, but two lots of being old,weak ill and infirm'

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            Oh, and being Scottish, especially Glaswegian.
            You've taken that too far hen..
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
              who was it it said 'Whats so bloomin good about living to a ripe old age eh? you get get one youth, just like everyone else, but two lots of being old,weak ill and infirm'
              Victor Meldew?
              Alf Garnett?
              "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
                You've taken that too far hen..
                I'm only going by the medical surveys - Glasgow is supposed to be an illhealth hotspot!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
                  Victor Meldew?
                  Alf Garnett?

nah, it was one of the witches in 'The Wintersmith' by Terry Pratchett, I think
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

get some green tea...once a day..

I am 28, play loads of sport...but genetically my family has had a history of high blood pressure, leading to both of my grand father's deaths, quite a few uncles have had blood pressure/heart attacks and strokes....

my dad has it too...

and now I think I am susceptible to it also..

think my was 130-90......

I don's smoke or drink...only vice is salty food....

Been intaking one cup of green tea a day, and it has lowered it to around 115-80

I bought one of those machines that measures your blood pressure, so I can monitor it at home....

That might be an idea also....

All the best

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
                      Day two of my training regime and I have noticed that the buzzing in my head has gone completely. The pains in my upper left chest have subsided and my hands have stopped shaking. All because I do 60 press ups, a few sit ups and walk 3 miles at lunch time.
                      Oh and I stayed in last night, normally I would have gone out for ten pints and a kebab.

Thats good news EO.

As I commute to work by cycle every day, and play five a sides football once a week and swim every Sunday - given I am three weeks away from being 47 - I have never felt fitter.

Regular exercise is the key - and try and do stuff you enjoy - and I even save money (appox 50 pounds per month) by cycling which is a great plus - that said I also use cycle lanes for my entire journey - I dont cycle on the road network.

Future plans are to take up Salsa Dancing and Yoga this summer vacation will be spent hillwalking in the Highlands - Gods own country.
                      Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 4 May 2007, 11:26.

Comment

Working...
                      X