• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overseas Bank Account.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rantor
    Interesting.

Hypothetically speaking, what do you think would happen if you just left the country at that point?

I often wonder if european governments pursue (civil?) tax liabilities cross-border.

Not that I would ever consider such a course of action.
    If you think that tax liabilities are only civil debts, and likely to be forgotten if you leave the country, and not pursued in other EU countries, then I think we would all like some of what you're smoking.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
      If you think that tax liabilities are only civil debts, and likely to be forgotten if you leave the country, and not pursued in other EU countries, then I think we would all like some of what you're smoking.
      I know it sounds strange but I was told (by an accountant no less) that in many countries non-payment of tax liabilities is a civil law matter as opposed to fraud, evasion etc. Having googled on this a bit it does seem to be b****x!

Anecdotally, it is not unknown for people to leg it from belgium owing a couple of years tax though I have also heard of people being pursued for the money in other countries (but not extradited etc.)

Not the sort of behaviour that a dedicated IT professional would ever condone or consider
      Last edited by Rantor; 2 May 2007, 21:25.

Comment

I know it sounds strange but I was told (by an accountant no less) that in many countries non-payment of tax liabilities is a civil law matter as opposed to fraud, evasion etc. Having googled on this a bit it does seem to be b****x!

Anecdotally, it is not unknown for people to leg it from belgium owing a couple of years tax though I have also heard of people being pursued for the money in other countries (but not extradited etc.)

Not the sort of behaviour that a dedicated IT professional would ever condone or consider
        Didn't mean to be insulting but taxes have always been 'special'. A lot of people do dislike paying them, and OTOH govts have special powers to extract them. The idea of them voluntarily "taking a number" and just hoping you'll pay is frankly imaginative. In some cases they might not chase you too hard because they have bigger fish to fry, but they will if they feel like it.

PS and the EU is determined to rationalise these things. Get flashed by foreign speed cameras while you still can, one day it will cost you.....
        Last edited by Euro-commuter; 3 May 2007, 07:29.
        God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I see the Govt. are introducing a limit on the amount of cash that can be brought in/out of the country.

Obviously, it has nothing to do with offshore account holders trying to (crudely) re-patriate their funds!

Will this Govt. stop at nothing to screw over the working man?

http://tinyurl.com/2nzhgg

Comment

It is in Switzerland. Only if you fraudulently alter / create documents is it then a criminal thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
              I see the Govt. are introducing a limit on the amount of cash that can be brought in/out of the country.

Obviously, it has nothing to do with offshore account holders trying to (crudely) re-patriate their funds!

Will this Govt. stop at nothing to screw over the working man?

http://tinyurl.com/2nzhgg
              The thing you ignore is that we must each pay our fair share of taxation, in order to fund vital public services. For each of us that does not do this, someone else has to make up the deficit, which is patently unfair.

It is particularly invidious when people manipulate the law in ways that were not intended, to reduce their real taxation liabilities in ways that are not available to ordinary hard-working families. Tax avoidance is frankly immoral, and borders on criminal intent.

I shall always make it my duty to introduce new legislation to catch tax avoiders. Furthermore, I know I have the support of the vast majority of this country's people, who are heartily sick and tired of these few, greedy people getting away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by gordonbrown
                The thing you ignore is that we must each pay our fair share of taxation, in order to fund vital public services. For each of us that does not do this, someone else has to make up the deficit, which is patently unfair.

It is particularly invidious when people manipulate the law in ways that were not intended, to reduce their real taxation liabilities in ways that are not available to ordinary hard-working families. Tax avoidance is frankly immoral, and borders on criminal intent.

I shall always make it my duty to introduce new legislation to catch tax avoiders. Furthermore, I know I have the support of the vast majority of this country's people, who are heartily sick and tired of these few, greedy people getting away with it.

I concur!

Churchill - In "Sir Philip Green" mode!

Comment

Originally posted by gordonbrown

feck off and die

Comment

Working...
                  X