• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you track a fish?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you track a fish?

The government is expected to call for a system to track fish across Europe in efforts to cut down on illegal fishing.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6602639.stm

Is this just the BBC's worsening standard of English or am I reading 'system to track fish across Europe ' and it could only relate to rivers? Not sure from the article.

Give them all ID cards. That will solve the problem.
    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by Buffoon

Excellent idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Buffoon
        Pretty much the plan: as each fish is caught it will go through a machine that'll print a barcode on it, much like they do with the best before thing on eggs. Then at each stage of the processing someone will read the barcode back and log it, and this will be done all the way to your plate.

This way they will ensure that people who catch fish illegally and hence don't barcode them can be easily traced and punished.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

RFID, track it down to your fridge.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Mackerel are sort of bar coded already. Also zebra fish.

Comment

Some fish are certainly Bar-Codded.

I'll get my coat.

Comment

Cod coding!

Comment

I once knew a bloke whose job it was to track fish.

Did it with a boat, and radio tag thingies.

Tax money at work!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
                    The government is expected to call for a system to track fish across Europe in efforts to cut down on illegal fishing.
                    That should be interesting! Spanish boats fish illegally, pull into Spanish ports, and sell to Spaniards.

It's about ten years too late anyway. Bit like their recent call for immigration control.

Comment

Working...
                    X