• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Carbon Footprint

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Footprint

For many people a substantial reduction in greenhouse gas emissions can be achieved by driving a more fuel-efficient vehicle. Each gallon of gasoline burned produces 10kg (20 pounds) of carbon dioxide [US Department of Energy]. A motorist driving 15,000 miles a year in a vehicle that delivers 30mpg will produce 5000kg of carbon emissions whereas a vehicle returning 50mpg will produce 3000kg.

Right.

I have a bee in my bonnet about this. I read in the Times yesterday that burning a Gallon of Petrol produces 10KG of Carbon Dioxide.

Now a Gallon of petrol weights 8lbs or approx (3.6KG).

On the basis of my limited understanding, how come an 8lb Gallon produces a 22lb output of Carbon Dioxide. Yeh, I know theres a reaction with Oxygen etc etc but I reckon this is absolute bollocks.

Where's the proof. This carbon footprint stuff is bollocks.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

C'mon.

Someone must have paid more attention during chemistry than I did.

Now the question for me is why should I feel guilty about my carbon footprint when I take a flight? It's not as though I charter them - I get on ones that are going anyway so I therefore make no individual contribution

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
      For many people a substantial reduction in greenhouse gas emissions can be achieved by driving a more fuel-efficient vehicle. Each gallon of gasoline burned produces 10kg (20 pounds) of carbon dioxide [US Department of Energy]. A motorist driving 15,000 miles a year in a vehicle that delivers 30mpg will produce 5000kg of carbon emissions whereas a vehicle returning 50mpg will produce 3000kg.

Right.

I have a bee in my bonnet about this. I read in the Times yesterday that burning a Gallon of Petrol produces 10KG of Carbon Dioxide.

Now a Gallon of petrol weights 8lbs or approx (3.6KG).

On the basis of my limited understanding, how come an 8lb Gallon produces a 22lb output of Carbon Dioxide. Yeh, I know theres a reaction with Oxygen etc etc but I reckon this is absolute bollocks.

Where's the proof. This carbon footprint stuff is bollocks.
      It's worse than that... That lot have a small gallon; it's only 4/5 the size of ours.
      The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

It seems impossible that a gallon of gasoline, which weighs about 6.3 pounds, could produce 20 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) when burned. However, most of the weight of the CO2 doesn't come from the gasoline itself, but the oxygen in the air.

When gasoline burns, the carbon and hydrogen separate. The hydrogen combines with oxygen to form water (H2O), and carbon combines with oxygen to form carbon dioxide (CO2).

A carbon atom has a weight of 12, and each oxygen atom has a weight of 16, giving each single molecule of CO2 an atomic weight of 44 (12 from carbon and 32 from oxygen).

Therefore, to calculate the amount of CO2 produced from a gallon of gasoline, the weight of the carbon in the gasoline is multiplied by 44/12 or 3.7.

Since gasoline is about 87% carbon and 13% hydrogen by weight, the carbon in a gallon of gasoline weighs 5.5 pounds (6.3 lbs. x .87).

We can then multiply the weight of the carbon (5.5 pounds) by 3.7, which equals 20 pounds of CO2!
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

one pound of fuel requires about 15 pounds of air in the combustion engine. Only one fifth of the air is oxgen so the total weight out of the exhaust for a pound of fuel is 4 pounds.
          for a gallon of fuel this is 24 pounds out of the exhaust, two parts water vapour, one part carbon dioxide (plus a few traces such as unused fuel, carbon monoxide and nitrous oxide)

How these proportions are reflected by weight I defer to V, but the ball park looks about right.

As a matter of interest, water vapour is a much more potent green house gas than CO2 and the combustion process produces twice as much, it never gets a mention? why ?

Because nature produces much more than we do and doesnt pay taxes or breast beat.

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I blame fat people ,they have the largest foot print or people with large foot size

Comment

Originally posted by andy
              I blame fat people ,they have the largest foot print or people with large foot size
              fatties definitely have the deepest footprints
              Call the cops

Comment

No. I have massive feet and a small todger.

Comment

Originally posted by freakydancer
                  fatties definitely have the deepest footprints
                  But they also act as carbon reservoirs - If all 6 billion people in the world, not counting the relatively few who are already obese, packed an extra half hundredweight of blubber that would be 150 million tons, of which a significant proportion would be carbon. Snag is, they'd need to use a lot more fuel hauling their fat arses round in various forms of transport. So maybe there would be no net benefit.

Come to think of it though, why not breed genetically engineered ants or worms and suchlike prone to putting on weight? I'm sure their total biomass must far outstrip that of humans, and no one could complain it was cruel to put a strain on their little hearts because insects and worms don't have them.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
                    But they also act as carbon reservoirs - If all 6 billion people in the world, not counting the relatively few who are already obese, packed an extra half hundredweight of blubber that would be 150 million tons, of which a significant proportion would be carbon. Snag is, they'd need to use a lot more fuel hauling their fat arses round in various forms of transport. So maybe there would be no net benefit.
                    Yes but fat people would die earlier, which would reduce the overall consumption of resources.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X