• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Those were the days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The BBC Micro had a good feature, whereby holding down a key or something one could copy a section of the previous text line onto the current line. Obviously this can easily be done today with a mouse, and I forget exactly how it worked, but it seemed very useful and effective at the time.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
      Nah, it were crap.
      Based on what criteria?

Always remember my little fat chum, a bad workman blames his tools!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
        Based on what criteria?

Always remember my little fat chum, a bad workman blames his tools!
        On the criteria that there was little quality control in the manufacturing process so approx 80% came of the line with one fault or another, IIRC the half memory models were just the same as full memory models but with faulty memory chips, nice...

Oh, and I never liked the Z80 processor, think it is gay.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

It's interesting that it mentions that most programmers of today were inspired by the Speccie (or similar) and the the UK has a vibrant software development industry as a result.

I wonder if that will be the case in a decade's or 2 time, when a generation that never had to bother with writing their own software (in assembly to boot) will be programmers.

Comment

I remember going to the smithsonian in Washington and seeing a VAX2 used for space shuttles. And I remembered that coming out - made me feel very old.

And now I have more power in my mobile phone(probably)

Comment

On the criteria that there was little quality control in the manufacturing process so approx 80% came of the line with one fault or another, IIRC the half memory models were just the same as full memory models but with faulty memory chips, nice...

Oh, and I never liked the Z80 processor, think it is gay.
              Ok, on the quality front I concur. The ULA was made by Ferranti and I made a few quid fitting new ones to mates speccies.

However, without access to low cost(relatively) computer hardware a lot of us wouldn't be the expert developers that we are now. It filled a niche!

As for the Z80 being "gay" well I must admit that I prefer memory mapped I/O and anything more than 3 registers leads to sloppy programming!!!

Churchill - In "Yes I know technically the 6502 had more than 3" mode!

Comment

Supposedly there is more processing power in the seat of one of my cars than what was used to put a man on the moon. Nice and comfy seat like.

Comment

Supposedly there is more processing power in the seat of one of my cars than what was used to put a man on the moon. Nice and comfy seat like.
                  On the subject of cars I was playing with a Carrera 4 on Friday. Bright Yellow and very, very quick. A bit cramped in the footwell but I may just be buying it as a toy.

Peoples thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                    On the subject of cars I was playing with a Carrera 4 on Friday. Bright Yellow and very, very quick. A bit cramped in the footwell but I may just be buying it as a toy.

Peoples thoughts?
                    You can get a 2nd hand Gallardo with just a little more than delivery miles, has better leg room, and people won't think you're gay when you drive by.

Comment

You can get a 2nd hand Gallardo with just a little more than delivery miles, has better leg room, and people won't think you're gay when you drive by.
                      Not for £35k...

Comment

Working...
                      X