• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Profit Margins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    An interesting example of how people use "spin" to justify their position. A contractor wishing to increase his rate seems to be a legitimate business transaction whereas any money that an agency tries to make is "spun" as "greed". Doubly ironic as 99% of recruitment consultants probably earn less than half of what an average contractor "takes".
    Bloody hell, I never realised that I always wanted to know what the spiveratti made! So does that mean 40-50k is typical for a contract recruitment bod?

Comment

Originally posted by andy
      why , Whats wrong with being transparent ? That does not harm free market economy surely.
      All other kinds of agents are forced to declare their commission legally except this lot
      There may indeed be some compelling arguments for agencies to disclose margins (what is the client expecting for the money? If he is paying £1000 a day and getting a £500 a day contractor then he isnt going to be happy) but it is as ever the law of unintended consequences that prevails beyond what the do gooder legislators expect.

Estate agents have to disclose their fees as do financial advisors, but these people are drawing their pay from private individuals who are easy meat for the unscrupulous sales person. As far as the agent/contractor is concerned no contractor is going to be exploited to the point of suffering major financial hardship. So from a risk point of view it is not really necessary.

Sorry guys you are just not important enough and nor are you regarded as victims. In fact in the eyes of legislators you are the scum of the earth and the very last group of people that need any form of protection. In fact in the eyes of New Labour you are probably further down the "shoeing order" than us agents (who pay NI) :
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor
        Bloody hell, I never realised that I always wanted to know what the spiveratti made! So does that mean 40-50k is typical for a contract recruitment bod?
        For a reasonably good account manager then yes, for a resourcer it will be considerably less. For a high flyer (and there are not many of those) then £100 k plus.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Sorry guys you are just not important enough and nor are you regarded as victims. In fact in the eyes of legislators you are the scum of the earth and the very last group of people that need any form of protection. In fact in the eyes of New Labour you are probably further down the "shoeing order" than us agents (who pay NI) :
          This is why all contrators should strive to find direct assignment and organise their own un-value added affairs
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Estate agents have to disclose their fees as do financial advisors, but these people are drawing their pay from private individuals who are easy meat for the unscrupulous sales person. As far as the agent/contractor is concerned no contractor is going to be exploited to the point of suffering major financial hardship. So from a risk point of view it is not really necessary.
            Does this mean that it's fine to steal as long as you steal from rich people?
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I suppose through the eyes of those hard working british families who seek fairness the answer is yes

Milan.

Comment

Well I found out today that for some really obscure reason the agency myself and a few other contractors are with is paying us all the same rate but charging the client £100 per day more for me than the others? How do they figure that one out??

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic_Charmer
                  Well I found out today that for some really obscure reason the agency myself and a few other contractors are with is paying us all the same rate but charging the client £100 per day more for me than the others? How do they figure that one out??

Without you knowing, the agency has told the client: "sorry, but he'll walk if he doesn't get an extra £100."

No risk to the agent.

It's a nice little trick. They laugh when they pull that one off.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                    They laugh when they pull that one off.
                    I thought the 'pulling off' was the shoot the biscuit game during the celebratory party.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                      Does this mean that it's fine to steal as long as you steal from rich people?
                      You Franko in the eyes of everyone else are the rich. Like it or not if a recruitment agency is seen to be exploiting you, no one will give a damn. In the eyes of others you earn tulip loads of money without taking any responsibility for the work that you do. To most lefties you are tax avoiding scummy parasites. Interestingly you try your damndest to apply this tag to agencies but in reality you come across merely as rich priviliged whingers.

I counter that the contractor model is the most effective and efficient way to employ someone, but some of you commit gross hypocrisy when you start whining about your lot.

Comment

Working...
                      X