• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why one should abstain from eating pork

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hattra
    Very true. In 600 AD, when the Prophet Mahommed was cobbling together Islam out of bits of Christianity & Judaism, pork was a risky thing to eat.
    No more than any other meat or fish. The real reason was that no pig could survive in most parts of the hot deforested environment of the Middle East, aside from a few marshy areas on the red sea coast (where arabs happily breed and eat pigs to this day). Thus eating pork would require (in effect) importing the meat - it's what's called making virtue out of necessity.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
      No more than any other meat or fish. The real reason was that no pig could survive in most parts of the hot deforested environment of the Middle East, aside from a few marshy areas on the red sea coast (where arabs happily breed and eat pigs to this day). Thus eating pork would require (in effect) importing the meat - it's what's called making virtue out of necessity.
      Wild pig does prefer marshland, true, (before Hussein al-Tikriti drained all the marshes, you could go boar hunting in the Iraqi marshes, for instance) but domesticated pigs were kept in the Middle East at the time of Christ (Gaderene swine and all that) despite 2000 years of Jewish dietary tradition. Beef, goat and lamb though are much easier to handle, even in the temperatures in the Middle East because they all need to hang for several days (and much longer in an ice house) and can safely do so, even without refrigeration, whereas pork would be off by the end of the first day. Chicken should really have been classed with pork but probably wasn't because chickens were traditionally bought alive, and only killed just before they went into the pot. Fish is quite easy to preserve (salted or dried) & so was relatively safe
      Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

If you could get a normal pink pig (and not one of those pot bellied ones) and it could stay at piglet size, I'd have one as a pet anyday over a cat or a dog. As a kid we used to keep pigs and they are intelligent, clean and affectionate animals and when you get bored of them you can slice them up really thin and shove them on a butty with a bit of red sauce. mmmmmmmmmmmm!
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          <cough>

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Long Pig....

Crackling....

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Soylent Green is People!
          Crocodile is quite tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
            Crocodile is quite tasty.
            Bring me a crocodile sandwhich............. and make it snappy.

I think some of you have missed the rhetorical nature of, and ironic wit in, Threadeds original post. Did you all check the linky?
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              Bring me a crocodile sandwhich............. and make it snappy.

I think some of you have missed the rhetorical nature of, and ironic wit in, Threadeds original post. Did you all check the linky?
              Nope, I merely assumed that Threaded was trying to keep all the pork products to himself.

Avaracious swine that he is!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                Nope, I merely assumed that Threaded was trying to keep all the pork products to himself.

Avaracious swine that he is!
                I didn't mean you Churcy, sorry if it read that way. You made no ref to the o.p. or the original subject. niiiice.

Your first assumption may be correct, particularly the pies.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                  I didn't mean you Churcy, sorry if it read that way. You made no ref to the o.p. or the original subject. niiiice.

Your first assumption may be correct, particularly the pies.
                  Since when was relevance a prerequisite on this forum?

Comment

I would imagine the rule only permitting washing in running water came from the same sensible precautions thus avoiding areas of still water and malaria-carrying mosquitos.

Modern hygene and the connection between today's religions - discuss...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Pork chop tastes good, bacon tastes good.
                      Call the cops

Comment

Working...
                      X