• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We're Boomed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are banks deliberately over-lending to cause a crash and position themselves for it?

They will end up owning a hell of a lot of property, and this time they might be planning to hold on to repossessions and expand their own BTL businesses.

This has been nagging away at me for ages, but Shirley not?
    Last edited by wendigo100; 13 April 2007, 09:15.

Comment

> Don't rely on advice from Internet Forums

Wrong, the internet is probably the most valuable source of info now. Of course, you need to know how to filter.

If you're relying on mainstream media, BBC, etc. and financial advisers, then you are up the proverbial creek. The US subprime debacle is only now being widely reported in the mainstream, but it's been discussed for years now.

People get upset if you use the word crash. I prefer 'correction'

Milan re: source of the money. It's the YCT innit? (Actually I only found out a couple of months ago, the SFCT is also massive)

Comment

If London is the catalyst, why did prices rise double digit in the Midlands and North West while London was stagnating in 2003 (price falls). Surely that should have lead to prices falling elsewhere?

As others have said the key is when the money supply contracts, which it allways does at some point.
        I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

yes bob i too only found out at the sf doing the same a few months ago

when they put up their rates...

oh dear

anyway folks ignore me, I know nuffin, just an interested spectator

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
            > Don't rely on advice from Internet Forums

Wrong, the internet is probably the most valuable source of info now. Of course, you need to know how to filter.

If you're relying on mainstream media, BBC, etc. and financial advisers, then you are up the proverbial creek. The US subprime debacle is only now being widely reported in the mainstream, but it's been discussed for years now.

People get upset if you use the word crash. I prefer 'correction'

Milan re: source of the money. It's the YCT innit? (Actually I only found out a couple of months ago, the SFCT is also massive)
            But the media gets the message out to the masses. If the message is panic then people panic. The first rule of economic behaviour is expectations/consumer confidence
            I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
              Are banks deliberately over-lending to cause a crash and position themselves for it?

They will end up owning a hell of a lot of property, and this time they might be planning to hold on to repossessions and expand their own BTL businesses.

This has been nagging away at me for ages, but Shirley not?
              This is called a 'debt harvest'. Wealth is neither created nor destroyed but transferred. Therefore all the labour that was expended by the home-owning masses has resulted in no net gain for them because after reposession they are left with nothing. Most of it actually gets transferred to those who buy at the bottom, with the gatekeepers to capital (i.e. the banks) taking their cut on every transaction.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                Not only in the UK there is lot of credit available in most of the countries. I wonder where all this low interest money is coming from .
                Some comes from Japan, but ultimately money is simply created out of thin air. Of course the more money is created the less it is worth, just like any other commodity - this is inflation. Of course if you work for money this is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY
                  This is called a 'debt harvest'. Wealth is neither created nor destroyed but transferred. Therefore all the labour that was expended by the home-owning masses has resulted in no net gain for them because after reposession they are left with nothing. Most of it actually gets transferred to those who buy at the bottom, with the gatekeepers to capital (i.e. the banks) taking their cut on every transaction.
                  It is the homebuying masses who have expended the labour, not homeowners. Those who have merely held on to a property (or indeed exchanged) through the rampant house price inflation of recent years have profited from the labour of others.
                  God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                    It is the homebuying masses who have expended the labour, not homeowners. Those who have merely held on to a property (or indeed exchanged) through the rampant house price inflation of recent years have profited from the labour of others.
                    Yes of course. Those who hold no debt are blessed.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                      House prices rising say surveyors

Anyone not on that housing ladder had better get on while prices are still cheap.

Who Lucifer ? Anyone like yourself (given that your wife owns the house you liven in)

If only you had a spine.

Comment

Working...
                      X