• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Englands Second City

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru
    You know - anti-semantic. Pro-syntactic. It's an uncannily good description of you as it goes
    You tried that little jibe two slots earlier sg. It wasn't funny then either.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
      You tried that little jibe two slots earlier sg. It wasn't funny then either.
      Just a little educational service for the yoof of today.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Is it only me who finds the term 'yid' offensive?

Comment

Originally posted by RRH
          yid

An Eastern European Jew. The term is often interpreted as offensive, which is a major misconception. The word Yiddish is not offensive, so neither is Yid. The word Yid is used to differentiate between an Eastern European, Yiddish-speaking Jew and an Israeli, Hebrew-speaking Jew.

So it would seem. Not the only thing you are swimming against the tide on though.
          Last edited by shaunbhoy; 12 April 2007, 14:33.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
            You are absolutely right Freaky. 100% correct. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Oh no, hang on a minute - thought you were talking about yourself.

I agree with Shauny.
            I'm truly crushed.
            Call the cops

Comment

Originally posted by RRH
              It’s funny how you are so righteous about the term 'yid' yet think nothing of enforcing stereotypes on us country folk... Spurs have a fan site called http://yid-army.co.uk/ FFS!
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
                yid

An Eastern European Jew. The term is often interpreted as offensive, which is a major misconception. The word Yiddish is not offensive, so neither is Yid. The word Yid is used to differentiate between an Eastern European, Yiddish-speaking Jew and an Israeli, Hebrew-speaking Jew.

So it would seem. Not the only thing you are swimming against the tide on though.
                Not quite SB. That's like saying Paki is just short for Pakistani. It could be but the history of its usage makes it more than that. I'd like to see you use the word Yid in Israel...
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by RRH
                  Perhaps you mean anti-static.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    Not quite SB. That's like saying Paki is just short for Pakistani. It could be but the history of its usage makes it more than that. I'd like to see you use the word Yid in Israel...
                    No different to me being called a scot from scotland, unless you are swayed by the lunatic ravings of the PC brigade. Something I am not.
                    As gingerjedi says, many a Spurs fan happily refers to themselves as a Yid. Don't know why RRH is getting all bent out of shape, unless one of the chips has fallen off his shoulder.

Comment

What was the question again?
                      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                      X