• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has Iran humilated Britain...??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Depends who you believe, but an armed snatch in foreign waters is wrong. Parading POWs on TV is against a number of conventions as is broadcasting them making statements. There is more.
    Well at least the iranians did not sexually abuse them (Abu Graib) as far as we can tell, or kill any of them because the guards were bored.

Storm in a teacup this will be history in a few weeks time..... more
    concerned with the build of US Forces in the area, and the capture
    of UK soldiers is more related to this.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6376639.stm

Comment

Yes. In spite of everything, Iran comes out of this looking silly. More interestingly, it also reveals the divisions within the regime - the pragmatists seem to have more clout than the hard-liners which is a good sign.
      From what I've heard the youth in Iran are tired of revolution and just want cars, sex and the latest Western goods. Best thing America can do is flood the place with dollars - the regime would soon collapse from within.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
        Depends who you believe, but an armed snatch in foreign waters is wrong. Parading POWs on TV is against a number of conventions as is broadcasting them making statements. There is more.
        Whether they were foreign waters is a matter for debate.

As for parading POWs on TV, I've certainly seen footage of Iraqi POWs on TV, then there is the trial of Saddam himself, every moment was broadcast. People in glass houses and all that...
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
          Whether they were foreign waters is a matter for debate.

As for parading POWs on TV, I've certainly seen footage of Iraqi POWs on TV, then there is the trial of Saddam himself, every moment was broadcast. People in glass houses and all that...
          Yes but you seem to have gone from 'Iran has done nothing wrong' to 'two wrongs make a right'
          Boom boom boom boom
          A-haw haw haw haw
          Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
          Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

We lost a lot of face.

Firstly, we're not at war with Iran so the captured navy personnel were if in Iraqi waters kidnapped, if in Iranian waters legally apprehended.

We were played for fools and acted predictably.

Needless to say there's probably a lot more that went on behind the scenes than we'll ever be made aware of.

Do I trust this (British) government? Nope, not on your nelly.
            Last edited by Churchill; 5 April 2007, 09:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
              We lost a lot of face.

Disagree totally. The Iranians look silly now. Looks to the world like they didn't have the strength of their convictions and bottled bringing them to trial.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                Disagree totally. The Iranians look silly now. Looks to the world like they didn't have the strength of their convictions and bottled bringing them to trial.
                You are perfectly entitled to disagree. We've obviously interpreted events differently.

Comment

I don't blame people for saying what is required under duress but supposedly there was no duress so why did they fall over themselves with admissions and apologies? I suspect it was a case of "say this or you won't see your families for 20 years" Uncivilised behaviour. If there really was no duress most will be thinking, if these wimps are our armed forces, heaven help us.

Unauthorised actions by individual soldiers are not relevant, we are talking about actions by legitimate governments. Certainly, Gauntanamo was appalling, the US seem to have no idea that a major part of the effectiveness of any war (on "terror") is the propoganda and the Iranians seem to have a lot more grasp of that at least.

One hopes that the government will now be reviewing procedures and provision to ensure that any future Iranian attempt will be met by a suitably fatal response.

PS I am off to get myself captured by Iranians I could do with a new suit.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I can't help but think that if a woman hadn't been present in the captured personnel that things may have turned out a little different...

Comment

Presumably, having apologised over and again for invading Iranian waters, these 15 service personnel will now be court martialled for causing an international incident?
                      Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life

Comment

Working...
                      X