• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chancel Searches

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chancel Searches

Hello,

Having snubbed the first 2 major hurdles in my house buying...the price and the flooding (got it cheaper and its above the water with flood defences built in) can anyone recommend a place that does decent chancel searches.

There are a lot of places that seem to offer this. The lawyers did a £20 one as part of the surveys but it looks more like an attempt to sell me insurance than anything else so I'd rather get my own in depth survey done as if it is church land then I'd defo scarper from the property.

Richard

Isn't there a website that shows the areas covered by this

I take it you're worried by the recent case lost at the Law Courts?

& why wouldn't your solicitors indemnity cover this if you specifically asked them to confirm whether the property is affected during the searches
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I think that is why they are offering the insurance. They've said "oh the house is in an area where there was a church type thing"... here have some insurance.

The main thing that concerns me is not the money (as the church would get told a big feck off if they came asking) but that the house would become unsellable.

Comment

you're buying a house on flood plain land

what kind of flood defences have they built in for you ? a sturdy pair of wellington boots in the cupboard under the stairs ?

Milan.

Comment

Stilts?
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            Stilts?
            A planing hull?

A far better solution imho.

Comment

one of those inflatable boats that they sell at petrol stations near the seaside

Milan.

Comment

don't forget the trim tabs

and for the less nautical amongst us trim tabs are not something you pop at the disco

Milan.

Comment

Best flood defence system I've seen is a rubberised skirt fitted into a channel around the base of the house.
                  In time of flooding the skirt erects 4' up the wall (bu*ger if the floodwater is 5') comes complete with stoppers to seal up the drains.
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                  X