• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barclays Capital and Norwich Union

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NU - full of Wipro, and has been for some time. The 'Wealth Management Project' - budgeted at £250,000,000, went £100,000,000 over budget. Around 2001. Canned the same year it went live.

400 servers purchased. It ended up running on two boxes at the end of our corridor - about 30 users most of whom had 'test' in their username.

We were laughed at for being 'legacy' people - they were using Java, we were VB6. Life and Pensions (our area) had to bale them out.

They then decided to 'save' about £250,000 a year by sending work abroad (and employ people on a different budget to fix it afterwards) - fiddling the books.

And, of course, awarded themselves a hefty bonus, that more than offsets any 'perceived' cost savings.

Typical British management. Has been the curse of the country for decades. Always stopping innovation or sheer hard work through politics.

There has always been plenty of talent here - the skills shortage is in people who can manage, exploit markets, recognise opportunities, and actually make decisions. Ironically, the very people El Gordo tries to eridicate, unless they were born outside the UK and need a passport or a letter from tony to get a loan to buy up another British industry.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Spent 6 years at NU up until last March, when I saw the light and went contracting. Which part of NU as some parts are less worse than others....?
      Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP
        Does that apply for Radbrooke Hall too?
        Sorry to bump this, but does anyone who works/has worked there know if you're required to wear shirt and tie every day? It's only a small thing but would put me right off...

Comment

Sorry to bump this, but does anyone who works/has worked there know if you're required to wear shirt and tie every day? It's only a small thing but would put me right off...
          Nah mate, your dungarees should be OK. Take my advice though, leave your banjo at the railway station.

Comment

RH is 'business casual' has been for years = no jeans/t-shirts (except for women of course). No requirement for ties. Oddly, while working at the worst 'office' (semi-converted warehouse) I have ever seen for caudwel - shirt and tie was required...

Comment

Fairly casual when i was at the radders holiday park.. in fact rocked up suited one day and got funny looks.. then i am in IT though
              mmmmm stella

Comment

Business casual, suit requirement - all the same. A dress code is a dress code. I'm sat here right now in jeans, t-shirt (with a large skull & crossbones on it), and trainers. If the client doesn't like it, they can go **** themselves. There's no mention of dress code in the contract, and I wouldn't sign it if there was.

As it happens, my current client doesn't care, but even if they did there would be sod all they could do about it. Just wear what you want, there's nothing they can do. If that's a suit and tie, it should be your choice and not theirs.

Dress codes by their very nature must be an IR35 negative point as they are an example of D&C.

I do limit myself to not wearing t-shirts with rude words on them, but that's about it. But then again, that's my own choice.
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg
                  RH is 'business casual' has been for years = no jeans/t-shirts (except for women of course). No requirement for ties. Oddly, while working at the worst 'office' (semi-converted warehouse) I have ever seen for caudwel - shirt and tie was required...
                  Swift House, perchance?
                  The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by YumMum1
                    sw**ging d**cks
                    What sware words are those? I've been racking my brains!!

Are you a real live mummy YumMum? We need more girlies on here!
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X