• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barclays Capital and Norwich Union

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barclays Capital and Norwich Union

Anyone ever managed to secure a contract at either one of these organisations? They (their EBs) are repeatedly advertising on JobServe for well paying jobs in my area. I repeatedly get represented for both orgs, by EBs, yet I never, ever secure an interview, even though I am a good fit for the job? This has happened on several occasions with both organisations.

Some serious light shedding required, please or some horror stories to back up my suspicions. I know that both organisations have had some bad press with customers, so perhaps the overall culture of both of them stinks!

Or perhaps the jobs don't exist?

Thanks

Worked for both. Most recently Barcap and many years ago with NU.
    Nu was so long ago(1998), its probably changed so will not comment...although I did enjoy it up there(even tho they talk funny)
    Barcap was good also. Very difficult to start with and they expect you to hit the ground running.
    NU interview was very easy, Barcap - ended up seeing about 6 different people, so beware for plenty of questions and bring plenty of water

Comment

I think only about 10 people actually work for NU, all the rest work for implants of various other companies. They'll all say they work for NU, but they don't...
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        I think only about 10 people actually work for NU, all the rest work for implants of various other companies. They'll all say they work for NU, but they don't...
        You mean that the client is not NU directly, but a consultancy who hire us as sub-contractors?

Not sure what you mean here.

Also, do you need to have insurance or banking background. If you don't have it, how the heck do you ever get it?

Comment

I've knocked back Barcap - sounded too much like hard work.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I did a spell at NU recently - for a blue chip it's surprisingly messed up!
            Only good thing is they have to pay high rates to get people to go up there.
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

When I interviewed at Barcap there were two managers there from different teams who gave me the "good cop/bad cop" treatment. They were constantly trying to throw me off guard with pointless and aggressive questions. I found out later that what goes on is that the non-hiring manager will feel threatened if a good candidate turns up and try and stuff up the process for other manager.

They also tend to have 3 or more interviews for even the lowest level coding roles. Apparently the more candidates you interview (and reject) the more discerning you must be.

Unfortunately I got through the interview process. One of the worst places I've ever worked in terms of politics and red tape and people generally tring to stop you doing your job. This is of course specific to one part of the business and it may be different in other areas but I know a few other contractors who have had the same experience.

My current agent told me he can't find any developers in London who haven't already interviewed at Barcap.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeGregan
                When I interviewed at Barcap there were two managers there from different teams who gave me the "good cop/bad cop" treatment. They were constantly trying to throw me off guard with pointless and aggressive questions. I found out later that what goes on is that the non-hiring manager will feel threatened if a good candidate turns up and try and stuff up the process for other manager.

They also tend to have 3 or more interviews for even the lowest level coding roles. Apparently the more candidates you interview (and reject) the more discerning you must be.

Unfortunately I got through the interview process. One of the worst places I've ever worked in terms of politics and red tape and people generally tring to stop you doing your job. This is of course specific to one part of the business and it may be different in other areas but I know a few other contractors who have had the same experience.

My current agent told me he can't find any developers in London who haven't already interviewed at Barcap.
                Well, it seems like everyone in the entire world has either been interviewed there or worked there ........except lil ol' me. Mind you I am not in developing or IT. Perhaps my CV is too 'threatening' to them, hence and they're afraid I'll kick ass and won't tolerate any bulltulip or blockers to getting my job done

I doubt that the culture is that uneven across the business. It seems to me that I am better off not going to Barclays, at least.

Notably, both NU and Barclays have come under a real old hammering on consumer rights programmes lately - for poor customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                  I did a spell at NU recently - for a blue chip it's surprisingly messed up!
                  How so?

Comment

There defo recruiting big time, Ive seen 6 permies at my current client within the same area go there in the last 6 months. May be they prefer nicking staff

Comment

Working...
                    X