• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brown vs The Tide

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown vs The Tide

The Times

The SNP is heading for victory in the Scottish parliamentary elections on May 3, in what would be a severe blow to Gordon Brown...

If the SNP leader Alex Salmond becomes First Minister, Mr Brown would face taunts that he would be a Scot in power in England whose writ did not run on issues such as health, education and transport in Scotland. And Mr Brown, if he becomes Prime Minister, would also be swiftly reminded that the Conservatives secured narrowly more votes in England than Labour at the last general election – leaving him open to claims that he has a mandate in neither country.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

What are the Scottish Parliamentary elections? Do the Scots have their own General Election?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
      What are the Scottish Parliamentary elections? Do the Scots have their own General Election?
      Scottish Parliamentary elections = elections to Scottish Parliament.
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
        Scottish Parliamentary elections = elections to Scottish Parliament.
        MPs then? Like Gordon Brown, voted for by each of their 50,000 constituents?

I admit I don't understand how this works. Does an MP still remain a UK MP down here, even though the same people who voted him into the UK parliament have just voted him out of their own Scottish parliament?
        Last edited by wendigo100; 28 March 2007, 08:48.

Comment

MPs then? Like Gordon Brown, voted for by each of their 50,000 constituents?

I admit I don't understand how this works. Does an MP still remain a UK MP down here, even though the same people who voted him into the UK parliament have just voted him out of their own Scottish parliament?

MSP's == Members of Scottish Parliament are not the same as MP's, they are another extra layer of self-serving beurocracy which the populace of Scotland must endure. It is possible for an MP to be an MSP but these are few and far between. It is a sort of General Election for MSP's which will take place in May 07.
          Why the avatar? Well anyone accused of plotting against Gordon Brown can't be all bad.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZZZ Snoozer
            MSP's == Members of Scottish Parliament are not the same as MP's, they are another extra layer of self-serving beurocracy which the populace of Scotland must endure. It is possible for an MP to be an MSP but these are few and far between. It is a sort of General Election for MSP's which will take place in May 07.
            Thanks. I was thinking of Dewar, who I thought was first minister for Scotland once, as well as being an MP down here. And Salmond is in both places, isn't he?

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking of Dewar, who I thought was first minister for Scotland once, as well as being an MP down here. And Salmond is in both places, isn't he?
              Salmond is an MP but not an MSP though he will probably become an MSP in the May election.
              Why the avatar? Well anyone accused of plotting against Gordon Brown can't be all bad.

Comment

Working...
              X