• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the experts: Choosing an ISP, what do the numbers actually mean ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes
    inside the house it's a wired network

you mean that the wifi link to the house won't be the speed
    they say it is ?

Milan.

They very rarely are, even for wired services. The numbers quoted are the theoretical optimum speeds possible. The actual speed will probably be around 10-50% of that depending on the time of day, contention ratios, distance from the exchange/transmission source etc.

I'm on a 512kb wired connection and the best speeds I get are around 50kbps, and thats in the wee small hours when no other bugger is using the service.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

sh1t

Milan.

Comment

It's not that bad unless you have a demanding service running on it.

I have 4 PC's on the home network and can have multiple online games, surfing, email etc all running ok with no noticable lag.

If you wanted to host a busy website or one that needed a very fast response you;d be in trouble, otherwise you should be ok.

Comment

ok thanks

but if I'm working from home and downloading software sources for example 1.5gb cd's then it's gonna take forever isn't it ?

Milan.

Comment

Yep. Hours not minutes. Best solution is to leave them running overnight.

Comment

ok thanks

but if I'm working from home and downloading software sources for example 1.5gb cd's then it's gonna take forever isn't it ?

Milan.
              Oh yes
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

ok thanks

Milan.
                do you work in computing milan?

Have you ever thought what megabits a second actually means?

Have you thought about a night class? Might help you get out of tape changing!
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

oh well have to strart doing some planning then
                  get the sources ready before working from home

still, if it takes longer could bill more hours, nice

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                  X