• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

another permie thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The majority of startups fail, and as the one man development team, it will be you and you alone that has to deliver, the MD will spend his time boozing with potential clients. All firms are started with an optimistic "Euphoria", its like having kids if you sat down and thought about it you'd never do it. The other thing you have to ask yourself, will the big 5 really buy a strategic package from a company with a one man development team ?

If I were an investor I would invest in 20 such companies, most will fail or be disappointing, but one might just break into the big time. That's the sort of statistics investors deal with.

Just so that you're aware. The odds are against, but yes there are real rewards of you're one of the few.

But good luck
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

boooooo........
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

I've been involved with a few startups and have seen dreams shattered. The figures worked out on the back of a fag packet or beermat are not reality. Go in with your eyes open and don't ever offer to go in cheap with a promise of big money in the future.

The risk should be taken on by the investors/major shareholders and not the poor mugs who get suckered into the pipedream. They will be the ones who make the big money if things go well.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ennui]...The figures worked out on the back of a fag packet or beermat are not reality....QUOTE]

actually, it would seem fairly likely that this start-up will not fall into that type since they sell a package that automates those figures...

i think there will be a whole lot of work and stress for kramer but the rewards could be great (cash and education)

i don't think he's stumping up his own cash so risks are minimal and he can always jump back on the contract train. indeed, 12 months down the line he will probably command a higher rate.

i say: good luck lad.

Comment

If you work for a start-up tell them to pay you in advance. And to shove their stock options where the sun doesn't shine

Comment

Working...
            X